Soundness, Completeness and Non-redundancy of Operational Semantics for Verilog Based on Denotational Semantics
This paper investigates three significant questions of Verilog’s operational semantics: soundness, completeness and non-redundancy. Our understanding for these three questions is denotational-based. We provide an operational semantics for Verilog and prove that our operational semantics is sound, complete and non-redundant.
KeywordsOperational Semantic Transition Rule Atomic Action Denotational Semantic Hardware Description Language
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.J. P. Bowen, He Jifeng and Xu Qi wen. An Animatable Operational Semantics of the VERILOG Hardware Description Language. Proc. ICFEM2000: 3rd IEEE International Conference on Formal Engineering Methods, IEEE Computer Society Press, pp. 199–207, York, UK, September 2000.Google Scholar
- 2.M. J. C. Gordon. The Semantic Challenge of Verilog HDL. Proc. Tenth Annual IEEE Symposium on Logic in Computer Science, Computer Society Press, pp. 136–145, June 1995.Google Scholar
- 3.He Jifeng and Xu Qiwen. An Operational Semantics of a Simulator Algorithm. Technical Report 204, UNU/IIST, P.O. Box 3058, Macau, China, June 2000.Google Scholar
- 4.He Jifeng and Zhu Huibiao. Formalising Verilog. Proc. IEEE International Conference on Electronics, Circuits and Systems, Computer Society Press, pp. 412–415, Lebanon, December 2000.Google Scholar
- 5.C. A. R. Hoare and He Jifeng. Unifying Theories of Programming. Prentice Hall International Series in Computer Science, 1998.Google Scholar
- 6.IEEE Standard Verilog Hardware Description Language. IEEE Standard 1364-2001 (Revision of std 1364-1995), 2001.Google Scholar
- 7.Li Yongjian and He Jifeng. Formalising VERILOG: Operational Semantics and Bisimulation. Technical Report 217, UNU/IIST, P.O. Box 3058, Macau, China, November 2000.Google Scholar
- 9.Zhu Huibiao and He Jifeng. A Semantics of Verilog using Duration Calculus. Proc. International Conference on Software: Theory and Practice, pp. 421–432, Beijing, China, August 2000.Google Scholar
- 10.Zhu Huibiao, J. P. Bowen and He Jifeng. From Operational Semantics to Denotational Semantics for Verilog. Proc. CHARME 2001:11th Advanced Research Working Conference on Correct Hardware Design and Verification Methods, Springer-Verlag, LNCS 2144, pp. 449–464, Livingston, Scotland, UK, September 2001.Google Scholar
- 11.Zhu Huibiao, J. P. Bowen and He Jifeng. Deriving Operational Semantics from Denotational Semantics for Verilog. Proc. APSEC2001: 8th Asia-Pacific Software Engineering Conference, Computer Society Press, pp. 177–184, Macau, China, December 2001.Google Scholar
- 12.Zhu Huibiao, J. P. Bowen and He Jifeng. Soundness, Completeness and Non-redundancy of Operational Semantics for Verilog based on Denotational Semantics (Extended version). Technical Report SBU-CISM-02-07, SCISM, South Bank University, London, UK, 2002.Google Scholar