Neoplasms of the Hypopharynx and Proximal Esophagus
Cancers of the hypopharynx and proximal esophagus represent one of the most difficult diseases for head and neck surgeons to manage as they pose a significant diagnostic challenge. The trend of these cancers to grow in submucosal fashion, combined with the complex functions of the hypopharynx, esophagus and adjacent larynx, requires detailed mapping of the tumor boundaries to yield the most optimal treatment selection, determine the extent of possible surgical resection and subsequent reconstructive surgery. Consequently, cross-sectional imaging plays a critical role in evaluation of hypopharyngeal and esophageal cancers.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- American Joint Committee on Cancer (2002) AJCC cancer staging manual, 6th edn. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Million RR (1994) Pharyngeal walls, pyriform sinus, postcricoid pharynx.In: Million RR (ed) Management of head and neck cancer. JB Lippincott, Philadelphia, pp 502–532Google Scholar
- Mouret P (1999) Liposarcoma of the hypopharynx. A case report and review of the literature. Rev Laryngol Otol Rhinol 120:39–42Google Scholar
- Mukherji SK, Mancuso AA, Kotzur IM, Mendenhall WM, Kubilis PS, Tart RP, Lee WR, Freeman D (1994) Radiologic appearance of the irradiated larynx. Part I. Expected changes. Radiology 183:141–148Google Scholar
- Mukherji SK, Mancuso AA, Kotzur IM, Mendenhall WM, Kubilis PS, Tart RP, Freeman D, Lee WR (1994) Radiologic appearance of the irradiated larynx. Part II. Primary site response. Radiology 183:149–154Google Scholar
- Samant S, Kumar P, Wan J, Hanchett C, Vieira F, Murry T, Wong FS, Robbins KT (1999) Concomitant radiation therapy and targeted cisplatin chemotherapy for the treatment of advanced pyriform sinus carcinoma: disease control and preservation of organ function. Head Neck 21:595–601PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Uppaluri R, Sunwoo JB (2005) Neoplasms of the hypopharynx and cervical esophagus. In: Cummings CW (ed) Otolaryngology – head and neck surgery. Elsevier Mosby, Philadelphia; pp 1899–1859Google Scholar
- Wenig BL, Ziffra KL, Mafee MF, Schild JA (1995) MR imaging of squamous cell carcinoma of the larynx and hypopharynx. Otolaryngol Clin North Am 28:6009–6019Google Scholar