Association Mining System for Financial Ratios and Stock Prices in China and Hong Kong Stock Exchange
The focus of this paper is to extract association rules for financial ratios against stock price change. A data mining application for association rules on China and Hong Kong Stock Market has been built and to be accessed through the WEB. Preprocessing has been done to convert the data on financial report to financial ratios to allow for direct comparison. The changes on stock price were also extracted from the raw transaction data resided in the data warehouse. The values are classified into groups for KDD process. Three algorithms for association rules mining were implemented for efficiency comparison. The mining results are stored in the database server for retrieval through web browser or as input for further processing. The whole system was built using Java with the use of RDBMS and the Java classes built are reusable with defined interface and calling method.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Fraser Lyn M, Understanding Financial Statements, Third Edition, Prentice Hall, 1992Google Scholar
- John A. Tracy, How to read a financial report, 5th edition, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1999.Google Scholar
- Cheung J K. & Wu A, The Association between Financial Ratios and Stock Prices for Firms on the Taiwan Stock Exchange, Asian Journal of Business & Information Systems, Vol. 1, Num. 1, Summer 1996Google Scholar
- Chen Ming-Syan, Han Jiawei and Yu Philip S, Data Mining: An Overview from a Database Perspective, IEEE Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering, Vol. 8, No. 6, Dec 1996.Google Scholar
- Agrawal R. and Srikant R.: Fast Algorithm for mining association rules in large d atabases. Proceedings of the 20th international conference on Very Large Databases, September 1994.Google Scholar
- Meo Rosa, A New Approach for the Discovery of Frequent Itemsets, Pg 193–202, Proceedings of DaWaK 1999, Florence, Italy, 1999Google Scholar
- Tsur Dick, Jeffrey D. Ullman, Serge Abiteboul, Chris Clifton, Rajeev Motwani, Svetlozar Nestorov and Arnon Rosenthal, Query Flocks: A Generalization of Association-Rule Mining, Pg 1–12, ACM SIGMOD Seattle, WA, USA, 1998.Google Scholar
- Du Xiaoyong, Liu Zhibin and Ishii Naohiro, Mining Association Rules on Related Numeric Attributes, PKADD 1999Google Scholar
- Liu B, Hsu W, Wang K, Chen S, Visually Aided Exploration of Interesting Association Rules, PKADD 1999.Google Scholar
- Chan M.C., Tsang Simon, “Bankruptcy Prediction and Credit Evaluation for Small and Medium Size Enterprises in Hong Kong”, Asian Journal of Business and Information System, World Scientific Publishing Singapore Volume 4, Number 2 Winter 1999, pp. 423–452.Google Scholar
- Chan, M.C., W.F. Tse, Wong, C.C., Cheung Bernard K-S, Tang Gordon Y-N. “Artificial Intelligence in Portfolio Management”, Proceedings of International Conference on Intelligent Data Engineering and Automated Learning IDEAL 2002. August 2002.Google Scholar
- Chan, M.C., Li Yuen-mei, Wong, C.C., “Web-Based Cluster Analysis System for China and Hong Kong’s Stock Market”, Second International Conference on Intelligent Data Engineering and Automated Learning. Dec, 2000 CUHK, Hong Kong. Pp. 545–550.Google Scholar