The Logistic Map and the Route to Chaos pp 259-272
Agent Based Approaches to Income Distributions and the Impact of Memory
Agent based models have been used to study the dynamics of wealth or income distributions in populations. In this chapter we develop a generic theory of interacting agents where the property of memory may be included. The model may be analysed both analytically and numerically via computer simulation. Particular regimes are analysed and compared with empirical data for both the UK and the Republic of Ireland. We also demonstrate that with the inclusion of memory the predicted wealth distribution can exhibit Pareto tails with values of the exponent that are greater than unity unlike the model without memory where the exponent is always unity.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. Quetelet, Pierre-François Verhulst, Annuaire de l’Académie royale des sciences de Belgique 16, 97 (1850)Google Scholar
- 2.P.-F. Verhulst: A note on the law of population growth, 1835. In: D. Smith, N. Keyfitz, Mathematical Demography. Selected Papers (Springer Verlag, 1977); P.-F. Verhulst: Mem. Acad. R. Belg. 18, 1 (1845)Google Scholar
- 3.T. Malthus: An Essay on the Principle of Population, as it Affects the Future Improvement of Society with Remarks on the Speculations of Mr. Godwin, M. Condorcet, and Other Writers, LONDON, PRINTED FOR J. JOHNSON, IN ST. PAUL’S CHURCH-YARD, 1798, WWW:http://www.ac.wwu.edu/~stephan/malthus/malthus.0.htmlGoogle Scholar
- 4.V. Pareto: Cours d’Economie Politique (F Rouge, Lausanne 1897)Google Scholar
- 11.June-Yule Lee, Signal processing of chaotic impacting series, IEE Colloquium on Signals Systems and Chaos, p 7/1–6 (1997)Google Scholar
- 13.G.K. Zipf: Human Behavior and the Principle of Least Effort (Addison-Wesley, 1949)Google Scholar
- 16.P. Repetowicz, S. Hutzler, P. Richmond: preprint cond-mat/0407770, submitted to Physica AGoogle Scholar
- 18.T. Cranshaw: poster presentation at EPS meeting Applications of Physics in Financial Analysis (APFA) 3, London December (2003)Google Scholar
- 19.T._Di Matteo, T. Aste, S.T. Hyde: preprint cond-mat/0310544Google Scholar
- 22.D. Ben-Avraham, E. Ben-Naim, K. Lindenberg, A. Rosas: preprint condmat/0308175Google Scholar