Numerical Simulation and Control of Bluff-Body Flows Using the Penalization Method
A penalization method is used on Cartesian meshes to take into account bluff-bodies immersed in an incompressible flow. Realistic numerical simulations of 2D flows are performed using in particular accurate schemes and relevant boundary conditions on artificial frontiers. Then the penalization method is extended to three media namely the solid obstacles, a porous medium and the fluid. Therefore a porous layer is added to some parts of the obstacles to modify the shear layer effects and control the drag and lift forces as well as the vorticity. Finally an active control strategy is also presented.
KeywordsPorous Medium Direct Numerical Simulation Porous Layer Lift Force Penalization Method
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. Angot, C. H. Bruneau and P. Fabrie: Numer. Math., 81 (1999).Google Scholar
- 2.C. H. Bruneau and P. Fabrie: Int. J. Num. Meth. Fluids, 19 (1994).Google Scholar
- 3.C. H. Bruneau and I. Mortazavi: C. R. Acad. Sci., 329 (2001).Google Scholar
- 4.C. H. Bruneau and I. Mortazavi: Int. J. Num. Meth. Fluids, (to appear 1994).Google Scholar
- 5.C. H. Bruneau and M. Saad: submitted.Google Scholar
- 6.G. Carbeau: submitted.Google Scholar
- 7.P. Gilliéeron and F. Chometon, ESIAM Proc., 7 (1999).Google Scholar
- 8.P. Gilliéron: J. Mech. Eng., 53 (2003).Google Scholar
- 9.D. A. Nield and A. Bejan, Convection in Porous Media (Springer, 1999).Google Scholar