AraCyc: Overview of an Arabidopsis Metabolism Database and its Applications for Plant Research
Currently we are experiencing a rapidly increasing rate of production of large-scale data such as genome sequences, genome-wide gene expression profiles, proteomics and metabolomics data. The necessity to organize all of these data into a biological framework has been, in part, the motivation for the work described in this review. While we have created a comprehensive database that describes the metabolic network of a model plant species, Arabidopsis thaliana, the database is far from being either complete or error-free. Many of the pathways are in need of manual curation using the current literature and many more pathways, particularly those for secondary metabolism and those that include transport reactions, need to be brought into the database. As with any other database project, the content of the AraCyc database is dynamic and will continue to undergo enhancement, additions, and modifications to make it more useful.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Berardini TZ, Mundodi S, Reiser L, Huala E, Garcia-Hernandez M, Zhang P, Mueller LA, Yoon J, Doyle A, Lander G, Moseyko N, Yoo D, Xu I, Zoeckler B, Montoya M, Miller N, Weems D, Rhee SY (2004) Functional annotation of the Arabidopsis genome using controlled vocabularies. Plant Physiol 135:745–755PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dickerson JA, Yang Y, Blom K, Reinot A, Lie J, Cruz-Neira C, Wurtele ES (2003) Using virtual reality to understand complex metabolic networks. Atlantic symposium on computational biology and genomic information systems and technology, september, pp 950–953Google Scholar
- Goff SA, Ricke D, Lan TH, Presting G, Wang R, Dunn M, Glazebrook J, Sessions A, Oeller P, Varma H, Hadley D, Hutchison D, Martin C, Katagiri F, Lange BM, Moughamer T, Xia Y, Budworth P, Zhong J, Miguel T, Paszkowski U, Zhang S, Colbert M, Sun WL, Chen L, Cooper B, Park S, Wood TC, Mao L, Quail P, Wing R, Dean R, Yu Y, Zharkikh A, Shen R, Sahasrabudhe S, Thomas A, Cannings R, Gutin A, Pruss D, Reid J, Tavtigian S, Mitchell J, Eldredge G, Scholl T, Miller RM, Bhatnagar S, Adey N, Rubano T, Tusneem N, Robinson R, Feldhaus J, Macalma T, Oliphant A, Briggs S (2002) Adraft sequence of the rice genome (Oryza sativa L. ssp. japonica). Science 296:92–100PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Karp PD, Paley S, Krieger CJ, Zhang P (2004) An evidence ontology for use in pathway/genome databases. Pacific Symp Biocomput 9:190–201Google Scholar
- Strand A, Hurry V, Henkes S, Huner N, Gustafsson P, Gardestrom P, Stitt M (1999) Acclimation of Arabidopsis leaves developing at low temperatures. Increasing cytoplasmic volume accompanies increased activities of enzymes in the Calvin cycle and in the sucrose-biosynthesis pathway. Plant Physiol 119:1387–1398PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yu J, Hu S, Wang J, Wong GK, Li S, Liu B, Deng Y, Dai L, Zhou Y, Zhang X, Cao M, Liu J, Sun J, Tang J, Chen Y, Huang X, Lin W, Ye C, Tong W, Cong L, Geng J, Han Y, Li L, Li W, Hu G, Li J, Liu Z, Qi Q, Li T, Wang X, Lu H, Wu T, Zhu M, Ni P, Han H, Dong W, Ren X, Feng X, Cui P, Li X, Wang H, Xu X, Zhai W, Xu Z, Zhang J, He S, Xu J, Zhang K, Zheng X, Dong J, Zeng W, Tao L, Ye J, Tan J, Chen X, He J, Liu D, Tian W, Tian C, Xia H, Bao Q, Li G, Gao H, Cao T, Zhao W, Li P, Chen W, Zhang Y, Hu J, Liu S, Yang J, Zhang G, Xiong Y, Li Z, Mao L, Zhou C, Zhu Z, Chen R, Hao B, Zheng W, Chen S, Guo W, Tao M, Zhu L, Yuan L, Yang H (2002) A draft sequence of the rice genome (Oryza sativa L. ssp. indica). Science 296:79–92PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar