Further Development of a High Precision Two-Frame Inertial Navigation System for Application in Airborne Gravimetry
- Tim H. Stelkens-KobschAffiliated withInstitute of Flight Guidance, Technical University of Braunschweig
The Institute of Flight Guidance (IFF) of the Technical University of Braunschweig (TU BS) is involved in the development of airborne gravimetry since 1985. Fundamental examinations of airborne gravimeters were carried out between 1991 and 1993. In 1998 a high-precision two-frame inertial platform and a gravimeter sensor were purchased and modified for airborne application in cooperation with the Russian manufacturer Elektropribor.
Successful flight tests have been executed in the recent years. So far the resolution achieved is 2 km with a standard deviation of 3mGal1 (resp. 5km, 1mGal). The two-frame inertial platform was extended to a three-frame INS by mounting a ring laser gyro on top of the platform. The gyro provides an additional degree of freedom (yaw) around the vertical axis.
Since 2001 the IFF was involved in the programme GEOTECHNOLOGIEN funded by the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research. The goal of the project, which ended in 2005 was to develop an airborne gravimetry system with a resolution of 1mGal for wavelengths of 1 km.
Key wordsAirborne gravimetry gravimeter inertial platform
- Further Development of a High Precision Two-Frame Inertial Navigation System for Application in Airborne Gravimetry
- Book Title
- Observation of the Earth System from Space
- Book Part
- Part VI
- pp 479-494
- Print ISBN
- Online ISBN
- Springer Berlin Heidelberg
- Copyright Holder
- Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg
- Additional Links
- Airborne gravimetry
- inertial platform
- Industry Sectors
- eBook Packages
- Editor Affiliations
- 1. Institut für Astonomische Physikalische Geodäsie, TU München
- 2. Dept. 1, Geodäsie und Fernerkundung Telegrafenberg, GeoForschungsZentrum Potsdam
- 3. Bayerische Kommission für die Internationale Erdmessung, Bayerische Akademie der Wissenschaften
- 4. Forschungseinrichtung Satellitengeodäsie Fundamentalstation Wettzell, TU München
- Author Affiliations
- 5. Institute of Flight Guidance, Technical University of Braunschweig, Hermann-Blenk-Strasse 27, D-38108, Braunschweig, Germany
To view the rest of this content please follow the download PDF link above.