Force Feedback Control Implementation for SMART Non-Linear Actuator
SMART is a non-linear actuator used in the humanoid biped robot SILO2. This actuator has been developed by the Industrial Automation Institute in order to spend less energy without losing kinematic skills. This paper presents kinematic parameters of hip joint in the lateral plane and the place where the force sensing is realized. The output and input torque are calculated with the measurement of force in one rod of SMART and the motor current, respectively; and they are compared in order to know the performance of this joint. Force control in the hip lateral joint was carried out. By means of this control, compliance movement and detection of obstacles when the robot completes a gait can be realized. Additionally with this force control the biped robot stability in the lateral plane is improved.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Akinfiev, T., Armada, M., Caballero, R. (2000) Actuador para las piernas de un robot caminante. Spanish Patent ApplicationGoogle Scholar
- 2.Caballero, R., Akinfiev, T., Montes, H., Manzano, C., Armada, M. (2002) Design of SMART actuated ROBICAM biped robot. In: Proc. of Intl. Conf. of Climbing and Walking Robots. Professional Engineering Publishing, Paris, pp. 409–416Google Scholar
- 3.Caballero, R. (2002) Control of non-linearly actuated biped robots. PhD thesis, Polytechnic University of Madrid, SpainGoogle Scholar
- 4.McGeer, T. (1990) Passive dynamic walking. Intl. J. of Robotic Research. 9(2): 62–81Google Scholar
- 6.Pratt, G., Williamson, M. (1997) Elastic actuator for precise force control, US Patent US5650704Google Scholar
- 7.Yamaguchi, J., Takanishi, A. (1997) Development of a biped walking robot having antagonistic driven joints using nonlinear spring mechanism. In: Proc. of the 1997 IEEE Intl. Conf. on Robotics and Automation, Albuquerque, New MexicoGoogle Scholar
- 8.Montes, H., Pedraza, L., Armada, M., Caballero, R., Akinfiev, T. (2003) Force sensor implementation for enhanced responsiveness of SMART non-linear actuator. In: Proc. of Intl. Conf. on Climbing and Walking Robots. Professional Engineering Publishing, Catania, Italy, pp. 887–894Google Scholar
- 9.Montes, H., Pedraza, L., Armada, M., Akinfiev, T., Caballero, R. (2004) Adding extra sensitivity to the SMART non-linear actuator using sensor fusion. Industrial Robot: An Intl. Journal 31(2):179–188Google Scholar
- 10.Whitney, D. (1987) Historical perspective and state of the art in robot force control. The Intl. J. of Robotics Research 6(1):3–14Google Scholar
- 12.Grieco, J., Armada, M., Frenandez, G., Gonzalez de Santos, P. (1994) A review on force control of robot manipulators. J. Informatics and Control 3(2–3):241–252Google Scholar