Numerical Methods for the QCD Overlap Operator: II. Optimal Krylov SubspaceMethods
We investigate optimal choices for the (outer) iteration method to use when solving linear systems with Neuberger’s overlap operator in QCD. Different formulations for this operator give rise to different iterative solvers, which are optimal for the respective formulation. We compare these methods in theory and practice to find the overall optimal one. For the first time, we apply the so-called SUMR method of Jagels and Reichel to the shifted unitary version of Neuberger’s operator, and show that this method is in a sense the optimal choice for propagator computations. When solving the “squared” equations in a dynamical simulation with two degenerate flavours, it turns out that the CG method should be used.
KeywordsKrylov Subspace Matrix Vector Multiplication Unitary Form Krylov Subspace Method Propagator Computation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. Arnold, N. Cundy, J. van denEshof, A. Frommer, S. Krieg, Th. Lippert, and K. Schäfer. Numerical methods for the QCD overlap operator: III. nested iterations. Comp. Phys. Comm., to appear.Google Scholar
- 2.R. G. Edwards, U. M. Heller, and R. Narayanan. A study of practical implementations of the overlap-Dirac operator in four dimensions. Nucl. Phys., B540:457–471, 1999.Google Scholar
- 4.A. Frommer, V. Hannemann, B. Nöckel, Th. Lippert, and K. Schilling. Accelerating Wilson fermion matrix inversions by means of the stabilized biconjugate gradient algorithm. Int. J. of Mod. Phys.C, 5(6): 1073–1088, 1994.Google Scholar
- 5.U. Glässner, S. Güsken, Th. Lippert, G. Ritzenhöfer, K. Schilling, and A. Frommer. How to compute Green’s functions for entire mass trajectories within Krylov solvers. Int. J. Mod. Phys., C7:635, 1996.Google Scholar
- 6.G. H. Golub and C. F. Van Loan. Matrix Computations. The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, London, 3rd edition, 1996.Google Scholar
- 7.A. Greenbaum. Iterative Methods for Solving Linear Systems, volume 17 of Frontiers in Applied Mathematics. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM), Philadelphia, PA, 1997.Google Scholar
- 9.R. Narayanan and H. Neuberger. An alternative to domain wall fermions. Phys. Rev., D62:074504, 2000.Google Scholar
- 10.H. Neuberger. Vector like gauge theories with almost massless fermions on the lattice. Phys. Rev., D57:5417–5433, 1998.Google Scholar
- 12.J. van den Eshof, A. Frommer, Th. Lippert, K. Schilling, and H.A. van der Vorst. Numerical methods for the QCD overlap operator: I. sign-function and error bounds. Comp. Phys. Comm., 146:203–224, 2002.Google Scholar