Bibster — A Semantics-Based Bibliographic Peer-to-Peer System
This chapter describes the design, implementation, and evaluation of Bibster, a Peer-to-Peer system for exchanging bibliographic data among researchers. Bibster exploits ontologies in data-storage, query formulation, query-routing and answer presentation: When bibliographic entries are made available for use in Bibster, they are structured and classified according to two different ontologies. This ontological structure is then exploited to help users formulate their queries. Subsequently, the ontologies are used to improve query routing across the Peer-to-Peer network. Finally, the ontologies are used to post-process the returned answers in order to do duplicate detection. The chapter describes each of these ontology-based aspects of Bibster.
KeywordsSemantic Similarity Query Result Semantic Description Query Formulation Path Expression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Aberer, K., P. C. Mauroux, A. Datta, Z. Despotovic, M. Hauswirth, M. Punceva, and R. Schmidt (2003). P-Grid: a self-organizing structured p2p system. ACM SIGMOD Record 32(3), 29–33.Google Scholar
- Ahlborn, B., W. Nejdl, and W. Siberski (2002). OAI-P2P: A peer-to-peer network for open archives. In Proceedings of the Workshop on Distributed Computing Architectures for Digital Libraries-ICPP2002.Google Scholar
- Broekstra, J., M. Ehrig, P. Haase, F. van Harmelen, A. Kampman, M. Sabou, R. Siebes, S. Staab, H. Stuckenschmidt, and C. Tempich (2003). A metadata model for semantics-based peer-to-peer systems. In Proceedings of the WWW’03 Workshop on Semantics in Peer-to-Peer and Grid Computing.Google Scholar
- Broekstra, J., A. Kampman, and F. van Harmelen (2001). Sesame: An architecture for storing and querying rdf data and schema information.Google Scholar
- Li, Y., Z. A. Bandar, and D. McLean (2003, July/August). An approach for measuring semantic similarity between words using multiple information sources. Transactions on Knowledge and Data Engineering 15(4), 871–882.Google Scholar
- Nejdl, W. et al. (2003, May). Super-peer-based routing and clustering strategies for rdf-based peer-to-peer networks. In Proceedings of the Twelfth International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2003), Budapest, Hungary.Google Scholar
- Nejdl, W., B. Wolf, C. Qu, S. Decker, M. Sintek, A. Naeve, M. Nilsson, M. Palmér, and T. Risch (2002, May). Edutella: A P2P networking infrastructure based on rdf. In Proceedings to the Eleventh International World Wide Web Conference.Google Scholar
- Tatarinov, I., Z. Ives, J. Madhavan, A. Halevy, D. Suciu, N. Dalvi, X. Dong, Y. Kadiyska, G. Miklau, and P. Mork (2003). The piazza peer data management project. SIGMOD Record 32(3).Google Scholar
- Wertlen, R. (2003). Dfn science-to-science: Peer-to-peer scientific research. In Proceedings of the Terena Networking Conference (TNC 2003), Zagreb, Croatia.Google Scholar