Horizontal Crustal Motion Estimates for the UK inferred from GPS: Preliminary Results
This paper presents preliminary estimates of horizontal crustal motion inferred from a GPS network in the UK. The British Isles are on the western part of the Eurasian plate and the effects of active tectonism are expected to be small. However, the British Isles are believed to undergo non-rigid plate behaviour due to glacial isostatic adjustment (GIA) occurring in northern Britain. Non-rigid plate behaviour can generally be shown to cause velocity biases when compared to velocities derived from models such as NNR-NUVEL-1A, which are based upon assumed rigid plate behaviour. As a first assessment, in this paper, horizontal station velocities obtained from the GPS analysis are compared to the ITRF2000 angular velocity of rigid Eurasia.
KeywordsBritish Isles Horizontal Crustal Motions GPS Eurasian Plate
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Argus, D. F., and R. G. Gordon, No-Net-Rotation Model of Current plate Velocities Incorporating Plate Motion Model Nuvel-1, Geophys. Res. Lett., 18, 2038–2042, 1991.Google Scholar
- Dixon, T. H., An introduction to the Global Positioning System and some Geological Applications, Reviews of Geophysics, 29(2), 249–276, 1991.Google Scholar
- Marotta, A. M., and R. Sabadini, Tectonic versus glacial isostatic deformation in Europe, Geophys. Res. Lett., 29, 2002.Google Scholar
- McCarthy, D., (Ed) IERS Conventions, IERS Tech. Note 21, Obs. de Paris, Paris 1996.Google Scholar
- Stewart, M P, Ffoulkes-Jones, G H, Chen, W, Ochieng, W Y, Shardlow, P J, Penna, N T, and Bingley, R M, GPS Analysis Software (GAS) Version 2.4 User Manual, IESSG Publication, University of Nottingham, UK, 2002.Google Scholar
- Teferle, F.N., Strategies for Long-term Monitoring of Tide Gauges using GPS, PhD Thesis, University of Nottingham (2003).Google Scholar
- Teferle, F.N., Bingley, R.M., Dodson, A.H., Apostilidis, P., and Staton, G., RF Interference and Multipath Effects at Continuous GPS Installations for Long — Term Monitoring of Tide Gauges in UK Harbours. (ION).Google Scholar
- Wessel, P., and W. H. F. Smith, New version of generic mapping tools released, Eos Trans, AGU, 76, 329, 1995.Google Scholar
- Williams, S. D. P., The Effect of Coloured Noise on the Uncertainties of Rates Estimated From Geodetic Time Series, Journal of Geodesy, 76(9–10), 483–494.Google Scholar