Challenges in Surface-Surface Intersections
Tangential and singular situations are still challenges in a system for surface-surface intersections. This paper presents several real world examples of hard intersection problems, and proposes methods on how to deal with them. In particular, solutions which use the possibility of representing a parametric surface as an algebraic surface through the use of approximate implicitization, are in focus. This allows us to transform an intersection between two parametric surfaces to the problem of finding zeroes of a function of two parameters.
KeywordsSingular Point Intersection Point Parametric Surface Algebraic Surface Intersection Curve
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Barnhill R.E. and Kersey S.N. Surface/surface intersection. Computer Aided Geometric Design 20 (1986) 18–36.Google Scholar
- 4.Dokken T. Aspects of Intersection Algorithms and Approximation, Doctor thesis. 1997.Google Scholar
- 5.Dokken T. Approximate Implicitization. Mathematical Methods for Curves and Surfaces. Edited by T. Lyche and L. Schumaker (Oslo 2000) 81–102Google Scholar
- 6.Dokken T. and Thomassen J.B. Overview of Approximate Implicitization. To appear in Contemporary Mathematics (CONM) book series by AMSGoogle Scholar
- 7.Dokken T. Skytt V. and Ytrehus A-M. Recursive Subdivision and Iteration in Intersections. Mathematical methods in computer aided geometric design. Edited by T. Lyche and L. Schumaker. (Oslo 1989) 207–214Google Scholar
- 9.Hohmeyer M.E. Robust and Efficient Surface Intersection for Solid Modelling. Report No UCB/CSK 92/681, Computer Science Division, University of California (1992)Google Scholar
- 10.Hoschek J. and Lasser D. Fundamentals of Computer Aided Geometric Design. A.K. Peters (1993)Google Scholar
- 12.Luo R.C., Ma Y. and McAllister D.F. Tracing tangential surface-surface intersections. Proceedings of the Third ACM Solid Modeling Symposium. C. Hoffman and J. Rossignac, editors. (1995) 255–262Google Scholar
- 17.Patrikalakis N.M. and Maekawa T. Shape Interrogation for Computer Aided Design and Manufacturing. Springer 2002.Google Scholar
- 18.Peters J. and Wu X. SLEVEs for planar spline curves. Submitted to Elsvier Science (2003)Google Scholar
- 19.Pratt M. and Geisow A. Surface/Surface Intersection Problems. IMA Mathematics of Surfaces. Edited by J Gregory, Clarendon Press (1986) 117–142Google Scholar
- 24.Zudel A.K. Surface-Surface Intersection: Loop Destruction Using Bezier Clipping and Pyramidal Bounds. Thesis for Doctor of Philosophy, Brigham Young University (1994)Google Scholar