Design Constraints in Implementing Real-time Algorithms for a Flexible Manipulator System
This paper presents an investigation into the design constraints of the algorithm of a flexible manipulator system for real-time implementation. A dynamic simulation algorithm of a single link manipulator system using finite difference (FD) method is considered to demonstrate the critical real-time design and implementation issues. The simulation algorithm is analyzed, designed in various forms and implemented to explore the impact. Finally, a comparative real-time computing performance of various forms of the algorithms is presented and discussed to demonstrate the merits of different design mechanisms through a set of experiments.
KeywordsAlgorithm design real-time computing flexible manipulator finite difference simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Hossain, M. A., Tokhi, M. O. and Dahal, K. P, (2004), Impact of algorithm design in implementing real-time active control systems, Computer Science Lecture Note, Springer Verlag, Germany, pp: 247–253Google Scholar
- 4.Tokhi, M. O., Hossain, M. A., Baxter, M. J. and Fleming, P. J. (1995), “Heterogeneous and homogeneous parallel architectures for real-time active vibration control”, IEE Proceedings-D: Control Theory and Applications, 142,(6), pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- 5.Clader, B., Krintz, C., John, S. and Austin, T. (1998), “Cache-concious data placement”, Proceedings of Eighth International Conference on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems (ASPLOS’98), San Jose, Canada, pp. 139–149.Google Scholar
- 6.Kabir, U., Hossain, M. A. and Tokhi, M. O. (2000). “Reducing memory access time in real-time implementation of signal processing and control algorithms”, Proceedings of AARTC00: IFAC Workshop on Algorithms and Architectures for Real-time Control, Palma de Mallorca (Spain), 15–17 May 2000, pp. 15–18.Google Scholar
- 7.Azad AKM (1994) Analysis and design of control mechanisms for flexible manipulator systems, PhD Thesis. Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, The University of Sheffield, UK.Google Scholar
- 8.Porwanto, H. (1998), Dynamic simulation and control of flexible manipulator systems, PhD Thesis. Department of Automatic Control and Systems Engineering, The University of Sheffield, UKGoogle Scholar