A new characterization of distributed deadlock in databases
The problem of distributed transactions deadlock is analyzed from a new point of view. Consequently we are able to obtain three results. The first is a sufficient condition for deadlock freedom of transactions. The second establishes how many syntactically identical transactions must be analyzed to determine their freedom from deadlock. The third extends the Havender scheme () for deadlock prevention (locking entities in a fixed order) to the distributed case.
KeywordsCritical Step Total Order Partial Schedule Deadlock Prevention Deadlock Avoidance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- K.P. Eswaran, J.N. Gray, R.A. Lorie and I.L. Traiger, "The Notion of Consistency and Predicate Locks in a Database System", CACM, 19(11), pp. 624–633, (1976).Google Scholar
- P.C. Kanellakis and C.H. Papadimitriou, "Is Distributed Locking Harder?", JCSS, (28), pp. 103–120, (1984).Google Scholar
- J.W. Havender, "Avoiding Deadlock in Multitasking Systems", IBM Sys. J., 7(2), pp. 74–84, (1968).Google Scholar
- J.N. Gray, "Notes on Database Operating Systems", in Operating Systems, an Advanced Course, Springer Verlag (1979).Google Scholar
- J.D. Ullman, Principles of Database Systems, Computer Science Press, (1979).Google Scholar
- D.A. Menasce and R.R. Munz, "Locking and Deadlock Detection in Distributed Databases", IEEE TOSE, 5(3), pp. 195–202, (1979).Google Scholar
- O. Wolfson and M. Yannakakis, "Deadlock Freedom (and Safety) of Transactions in a Distributed Database", Proc. ACM Symp. on Principles of Database Systems, pp. 105–112, (1985).Google Scholar
- M. Yannakakis, "Freedom from Deadlock of Safe Locking Policies", SIAM J. Comput., 11, pp. 391–408, (1982).Google Scholar
- R. Obermack, "Distributed Deadlock Detection Algorithm", ACM TODS, 7(2), pp. 187–208, (1982).Google Scholar
- T. Minoura, "Deadlock Avoidance Revisited", JACM, 29(4), pp. 1023–1048, (1982).Google Scholar
- O. Wolfson, "Concurrent Execution of Syntactically Identical Transactions", Technion-IIT TR 387, November 1985.Google Scholar