Full-commutation and fair-termination in equational (and combined) term-rewriting systems
In [PF-85] the concepts of fair derivations and fair-termination in term-rewriting systems were introduced and studied. In this paper, we define the notion of fairness in equational term-rewriting systems, where a derivation step is a composition of the equality generated by a (finite) set of equations with one step rewriting using a set of rules. A natural generalization of E-termination (termination of equational term-rewriting systems), namely E-fair-termination, is presented. We show that fair-termination and E-fair-termination are the same whenever the underlying rewriting relation is E-fully-commuting, a property inspired by Jouannaud and Munoz' E-commutation property. We obtain analogous results for combined term-rewriting systems.
KeywordsAssure Dition Verse Napa
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [BD-85]L. Bachmair, N. Dershowitz: "Commutation, transformation and termination", 1985, (submitted).Google Scholar
- [BP-85]L. Bachmair, D.A. Plaisted: "Associative path ordering", Proceedings of the First International Conference on Rewriting Techniques and Applications, Dijon, France, May 1985, (LNCS 202, J.P. Jouannaud-ed., Springer, Berlin).Google Scholar
- [CS-85]G. Costa, C. Stirling: "Weak and strong fairness in CCS", Internal Report, CSR-167-85, University of Edinburgh, Jan. 1985.Google Scholar
- [GFMdR-81]O. Grumberg, N. Francez, J.A. Makowsky, W.P. de Roever: "A proof rule for fair termination of guarded commands", Proceedings of the Int. Symp. on Algorithmic languages, Amsterdam, Oct. 1981, North-Holland.Google Scholar
- [JK-84]J.P. Jouannaud, H. Kirchner: "Completion of a set of rules modulo a set of equations", 11th Ann. ACM Symp. on Principles of Programming Languages, Salt Lake City, Utah, January 1984, pp. 83–92.Google Scholar
- [JM-84]J.P. Jouannaud, M. Munoz: "Termination of a set of rules modulo a set of equations", Proceedings of the 7th Intern. Conf. on Automated Deduction, Napa, CA. May 1984, pp. 175–193 (LNCS 170, R.E. Shostak-ed., Springer, Berlin).Google Scholar
- [LPS-81]D. Lehmann, A. Pnueli, J. Stavi: "Impartiality, justice and fairness: the ethics of concurrent termination", Proceedings 8th ICALP, Acre, Israel, LNCS 115 (O. Kariv, S. Even-eds.), Springer Verlag, 1981.Google Scholar
- [P-86]S. Porat: "Fairness in models for nondeterministic computations", Ph.D. Thesis, Computer Science Dept., Technion, Haifa, Israel, Jan. 1986.Google Scholar
- [PF-85]S. Porat, N. Francez: "Fairness in term rewriting systems", Proceedings of the 1st Inter. Conf. on Rewriting Techniques and Applications, Dijon, France, May 1985 (LNCS 202, J.P. Jouannaud-ed., Springer, Berlin).Google Scholar