Automatically determining symmetries of ordinary differential equations
A REDUCE program is presented which allows to determine the symmetries of ordinary differential equations by using it interactively on a computer. The program does the "easy part" of the work which essentially means anything but genuinely solving differential equations. This is in general rather time consuming and error prone if it is done by hand. If the system arrives at a deadlock the user is asked to supply some additional information. After it is provided the system continues with the solution procedure by itself.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- .Sophus Lie, Differentialgleichungen, Leipzig, 1891; reprinted by Chelsea Publishing Company, New York, 1967.Google Scholar
- .L.V. Ovsjannikov, Group Properties of Differential equations Novosibirsk, 1962, translated by G.W, Bluman; Group Analysis of Differential Equations, Nauka, 1979, English translations edited by W.F. Ames, Academic Press, New York, 1982.Google Scholar
- .G.W. Bluman and J.D. Cole, Similarity Methods for Differential Equations, Applied Mathematics Series 13, Springer New York, 1974.Google Scholar
- .R.L. Anderson and N.H. Ibragimov, Lie Baecklund Transformations in Applications, SIAM, Philadelphia, 1979.Google Scholar
- .D.H. Sattinger, Les symetries des equations et leurs applications dans la mecanique et la physique, Publications Mathematiques d'Orsay 80.08, 1980.Google Scholar
- .P. Olver, J. Differential Geometry 14, 497 (1979).Google Scholar
- .J.E. Campbell, Introductory Treatise on Lie's Theory of Finite Continuous Transformations Groups, Chelsea, New York, 1966.Google Scholar
- .A.G. Hansen, Similarity Analysis of Boundary Value Problems in Engineering, Prentice Hall Inc., Englewood Cliffs, N.J., 1964.Google Scholar
- .W.F. Ames, Nonlinear Partial Differential Equations in Engineering, vol.II, Academic Press, 1972.Google Scholar
- A.C. Hearn, REDUCE User's Manual, Third Edition, Santa Monica, 1983Google Scholar
- .F. Schwarz, Computer Physics Communications 27, 179 (1982).Google Scholar
- .C.E. Wulfman, B.G. Wybourne, J. Phys. A9, 507 (1976).Google Scholar
- .E. Kamke, Differentialgleichungen I, Akademische Verlagsgesellschaft, Leipzig, 1944.Google Scholar