Controversies in Radiotherapy for Hepatocellular Carcinoma
- 342 Downloads
Radiation therapy for liver carcinomas has been used in some hospitals in North America and Europe, but widely in Asia. However, the role of radiation therapy in the management of liver carcinoma has not been recognized in liver cancer society, especially in North America and Europe. The modern radiation techniques, 3-dimensional radiation therapy, intensity-modulated radiation therapy, stereotactic body radiotherapy, and proton and carbon ion beam radiation therapy have yielded very encouraging outcome. Recently, the role of radiation therapy just started to be recognized by NCCN guideline.
In the radiation therapy society, there were controversies regarding the radiation techniques: (1) What was the optimal management to control target motion, especially for beam scanning delivery in proton and carbon ion therapy? (2) What were the optimal radiation fractionation and total dose for hypofractionated or stereotactic body radiation therapy? (3) What were the normal liver tolerances for the livers with different degrees of hepatic cirrhosis, when different irradiation fractionations and total doses were applied? (4) What were the appropriate indications for different radiation techniques?
KeywordsDose fractionation Moving target Normal liver irradiation tolerance Proton and carbon ion SBRT
- ASTRO, Model policies, proton beam therapy. May 2014. http://www.astro.org.
- Bray F, Ferlay J, Soerjomataram I et al (2018) Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries. CA Cancer J Clin. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21492
- Chen W, Zheng R, Baade PD et al (2016) CA Cancer J Clin. https://doi.org/10.3322/caac.21338
- Chinese Ministry of Health (2011) Practice guideline of the diagnosis and treatment for liver cancer (Practice guideline for the diagnosis and treatment for primary liver cancers). J Clin Hepatol 27(11):1141–1159Google Scholar
- Chinese Society of Clinical Oncology (CSCO) guideline of diagnosis and treatment in liver cancers. 2018Google Scholar
- Hong TS, Wo JY, Yeap BY et al (2015) Multi-institutional Phase II study of high-dose hypofractionated proton beam therapy in patients with localized, unresectable hepatocellular carcinoma and intrahepatic cholangiocarcinoma. J Clin Oncol. https://doi.org/10.1200/JCO.2015.64.2710
- Ibarra RA, Rojas D, Snyder L, Yao M, Fabien J, Milano M, Katz A, Goodman K, Stephans K, El-Gazzaz G, Aucejo F, Miller C, Fung J, Lo S, Machtay M, Sanabria JR (2012) Multicenter results of stereotactic body radiotherapy (SBRT) for nonresectable primary liver tumors. Acta Oncol 51:575–583CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Ingold JA et al (1965) Radiation hepatitis. Am J Roentgenol Radium Therapy Nucl Med 93:200–208Google Scholar
- Kim GA, Shim JH, Yoon SM et al (2015b) Comparison of chemoembolization with and without radiation therapy and Sorafenib for advanced hepatocellular carcinoma with portal vein tumor thrombosis: a propensity score analysis. J Vasc Interv Radiol 26(3):320–329. e6CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Lasley FD, Mannina EM, Johnson CS et al (2015) Treatment variables related to liver toxicity in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma, Child-Pugh class A and B enrolled in a phase 1-2 trial of stereotactic body radiation therapy. Pract Radiat Oncol 5(5):e443–e449CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Ministry of Health of the People’s Republic of China (2011) Practice guideline for the diagnosis and treatment for primary liver cancers. J Clin Hepatol 27(11):1141–1159Google Scholar
- Mornex F, Girard N, Beziat C et al (2006) Feasibility and efficacy of high-dose three-dimensional-conformal radiotherapy in cirrhotic patients with small-size hepatocellular carcinoma non-eligible for curative therapies-mature results of the French phase II RTF-1 trial. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 66(4):1152–1158CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Ohri N, Tome WA, Mendez Romero A et al (2018) Local control after stereotactic body radiation therapy for liver tumors. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2017.12.288. pii: S0360-3016(17)34525-X
- Ren ZG, Zhao JD, Gu K et al (2011) Three-dimensional conformal radiation therapy and intensity-modulated radiation therapy combined with transcatheter arterial chemoembolization for locally advanced hepatocellular carcinoma: an irradiation dose escalation study. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 79(2):496–502CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Su TS, Luo R, Liang P et al (2018. pii: S0360-3016(17)34525-X) A prospective cohort study of hepatic toxicity after stereotactic body radiation therapy for hepatocellular carcinoma [published online January 6, 2018]. Radiother Oncol. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijrobp.2017.12.288
- Tsujii H, Kamada T, Shirai T, Noda K, Tsuji H, Karasawa K (eds) (2014) Carbon ion radiotherapy, hepatocellular carcinoma. Springer, Japan, pp 213–220Google Scholar
- Wang WW (n.d.), Dosimetric comparison among irradiation plans of photon, proton and carbon ion beams for 8 patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Chinese JGoogle Scholar
- Yoon SM (2018) JAMA Oncol. onlineGoogle Scholar