Scientific and Operational Roadmap for Fiducial Reference Measurements in Satellite Altimetry Calibration & Validation
- 24 Downloads
This work provides the essential elements for a scientific and operational roadmap with guidelines and practical directions to calibrate satellite altimeters under a new established standard of Fiducial Reference Measurements for Altimetry. According to this new principle, ground facilities, instrumentation and procedures, set up for calibration and validation (Cal/Val) of observations and products in altimetry, shall follow well-documented procedures and protocols, transparent to all involved. It shall also deliver uncertainty budgets of the Cal/Val results which should be built upon metrological standards and capable of being traced to Système International units. At first, this paper describes some guidelines for establishing new facilities for satellite altimetry Cal/Val with respect to their geographical location. Secondly, it gives requirements for maintaining an efficient performance and functionality for the Cal/Val facility. Third, it presents the optimal design and setup for the facility’s instrumentation in relation to the Cal/Val technique employed. Finally, this work recommends in-situ data set formats.
KeywordsAltimetry Calibration Fiducial reference measurements Roadmap
This work has been supported and funded by the EU and the European Space Agency (ESA No. 4000117101/16/I/BG).
- Bruyninx C, Araszkiewicz A, Brockmann E, Kenyeres A, Legrand J, Liwosz T, Mitterschiffthaler P, Pacione R, Söhne W, Völksen C (2017) In: Villiger A, Dach R (eds) International GNSS Service 2017 Technical Report. IGS Central Bureau and University of Bern; Bern Open Publishing, pp 105–115. https://doi.org/10.7892/boris.116377
- Crétaux J-F, Bergé-Nguyen M, Calmant S, Jamangulova N, Satylkanov R, Lyard F, Perosanz F, Verron J, Samine Montazem A, Le Guilcher G, Leroux D, Barrie J, Maisongrande P, Bonnefond P (2018) Absolute calibration or validation of the altimeters on the Sentinel-3A and the Jason-3 over Lake Issykkul (Kyrgyzstan). Remote Sens 10:1679CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- European Space Agency (2018) Fiducial Reference Measurements: FRM. ESA Sensor Performance, Products and Algorithms. https://earth.esa.int/web/sppa/activities/frm. Accessed 26 July 2018
- GCOS (2010) Guide to the GCOS Surface Network and GCOS Upper-Air Network, Global Climate Observing System, November 2010, GCOS–144, WMO/TD No. 1558Google Scholar
- Holman R, Merchant CJ, Saunders R, Downy C, Buchwitz M, Cazenave A, Chuvieco E, Defourny P, De Leeuw G, Forsberg R, Holzer-Popp T, Paul F, Sandven S, Sathyendranath S, Van Roozendael M, Wagner W (2013) The ESA climate change initiative satellite data records for essential climate variables. Bull Amer Meteor Soc 94:1541–1552. https://doi.org/10.1175/BAMS-D-11-00254.1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- JCGM (2010) Evaluation of measurement data Guide to the expression of uncertainty in measurement. Bureau International des Poids et Mesures. https://www.bipm.org/utils/common/documents/jcgm/JCGM_100_2008_E.pdf. Accessed 30 July 2018
- Loew A, Bell W, Brocca L, Bulgin CE, Burdanowitz J, Calbet X, Donner RV, Ghent D, Gruber A, Kaminski T, Kinzel J, Klepp C, Lambert J-C, Schaepman-Strub G, Schröder M, Verhoelst T (2017) Validation practices for satellite-based Earth observation data across communities. Rev Geophys 55:779–817. https://doi.org/10.1002/2017RG000562 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mertikas S, Donlon C, Mavrocordatos C, Boikov B, Femenias P, Parrinello T, Picot N, Desjonqueres JD, Andersen OB (2016) A fiducial reference site for satellite altimetry in Crete, Greece. Poster, Ocean Surface Topography Science Team Conference, 1–4 November, 2016, La Rochelle, FranceGoogle Scholar
- Mertikas SP, Donlon C, Féménias P, Mavrocordatos C, Galanakis D, Tripolitsiotis A, Frantzis X, Tziavos IN, Vergos G, Guinle T (2018a) Fifteen years of Cal/Val service to reference altimetry missions: calibration of satellite altimetry at the permanent facilities in Gavdos and Crete, Greece. Remote Sens 10:1557CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mertikas S, Donlon C, Féménias P, Mavrocordatos C, Galanakis D, Tripolitsiotis A, Frantzis X, Kokolakis C, Tziavos IN, Vergos G, Guinle T (2018b) Absolute calibration of the European Sentinel-3A surface topography mission over the permanent facility for altimetry calibration in west Crete, Greece. Remote Sens 10(11):1808CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mertikas S, Donlon C, Femenias P, Cullen R, Galanakis D, Frantzis X, Tripolitsiotis A (2019) Fiducial reference measurements for satellite altimetry calibration: the constituents. Fiducial reference measurements for altimetry, Proceedings of the international altimetry Cal/Val review & applications. Springer, Heidelberg. https://doi.org/10.1007/1345_2019_56 Google Scholar