Localization Control to Locate Mobile Sensors
Localization is an important issue for Wireless Sensor Networks in a wireless sensor network. A mobile sensor may change its position rapidly and thus require localization calls frequently. It is important to control the number of localization calls, as it is rather expensive. The existing schemes for reducing the frequency of localization calls for mobile sensors uses the technique of extrapolation which involves simple arithmetic calculations. We propose a technique to control the localization that gives much better result. The proposed method involves very low arithmetic computation overheads. We find analytical expressions for the estimated error if the rate of localizations is specified. Simulation studies are carried out to compare the performances of the proposed method with the methods proposed by Tilak et al.
KeywordsWireless sensor network localization mobility localization control target tracking
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Meguerdichian, S., Koushanfar, F., Qu, G., Potkonjak, M.: Exposure In Wireless Ad-Hoc Sensor Networks. In: Proc. 7th Int. Conf. on Mobile Computing and Networking (MobiCom 2001), Rome, Italy, July 2001, pp. 139–150 (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Thrun, S., Fox, D., Burgard, W., Dellaert, F.: Robust Monte Carlo Localization for Mobile Robots. Artificial Intelligence (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Juang, P., Oki, H., Wang, Y., Martonosi, M., Peh, L.S., Rubenstein, D.: Energy-efficient computing for wildlife tracking: design tradeoffs and early experiences with zebranet. In: Proc. of 10th Int. Conf. on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems (ASPLOS-X), pp. 96–107. ACM Press, New York (2002)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Tilak, S., Kolar, V., Abu-Ghazaleh, N.B., Kang, K.D.: Dynamic Localization Control for Mobile Sensor Networks. In: IEEE Int. Workshop on Strategies for Energy Efficiency in Ad-Hoc and Sensor Networks (IEEEIWSEEASN 2005) (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Bergamo, P., Mazzini, G.: Localization in Sensor Networks with Fading the Mobility. IEEE PIMRC (September 2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Hu, L., Evans, D.: Localization in Mobile Sensor Networks. In: MobiCom, September 26-October 1 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Bettstetter, C., Wagner, C.: The spatial node distribution of the random waypoint mobility model. In: Proceedings of German Workshop on Mobile Ad Hoc networks (WMAN), March 2002, Ulm, Germany (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Network Simulator: http://isi.edu/nsnam/ns