The Challenges of Software Engineering Education
We discuss the technical skills that a software engineer should possess. We take the viewpoint of a school of engineering and put the software engineer’s education in the wider context of engineering education. We stress both the common aspects that crosscut all engineering fields and the specific issues that pertain to software engineering. We believe that even in a continuously evolving field like software, education should provide strong and stable foundations based on mathematics and science, emphasize the engineering principles, and recognize the stable and long-lasting design concepts. Even though the more mundane technological solutions cannot be ignored, the students should be equipped with skills that allow them to understand and master the evolution of technology.
Categories and Subject Descriptors
K.3.2 [Computer and Information Science Education]
KeywordsEngineering software engineering education models
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Jazayeri, M.: Education of a Software Engineer, Keynote presentation at Automated Software Engineering, Linz, Austria (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Dijkstra, E.W.: On the Cruelty of Really Teaching Computer Science. Communications of the ACM 32(12), 1398–1404 (1989)Google Scholar
- 3.Brooks, F.P.: No Silver Bullet: Essence and Accidents of Software Engineering. Computer 20(4) (April 1987)Google Scholar
- 4.Baker, A., Navarro, E.O., van der Hoek, A.: An Experimental Card Game for Teaching Software Engineering Processes. Journal of Systems and Software (to appear)Google Scholar
- 5.Ghezzi, C., Jazayeri, M., Mandrioli, D.: Fundamentals of Software Engineering, II edn. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Abran, A., Seguin, N., Bourque, P., Dupuis, R.: The Search for Software Engineering Principles: An Overview of Results. In: Proceedings of the 1st Intl. Conference on the Principles of Software Engineering, Buenos Aires, Argentina (November 2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Kramer, J.: Abstraction is Teachable? In: Keynote at IEEE ACM SigSoft 16th International Conference on Software Engineering Education and Training (submitted for publication)Google Scholar
- 8.Musa, J.D., Iannino, A., Okumoto, K.: Software Reliability: Measurement, Prediction, Application. McGraw-Hill, New York (1987)Google Scholar