Policy-Based Management in Ad hoc Networks Using Geographic Routing
The management in mobile ad hoc networks is quite challenging as compared to management in wired networks. Several management strategies have been proposed by authors using either pro-active or reactive routing protocols. In this paper, we propose a policy-based management framework for ad hoc networks in which policy servers can efficiently communicate and service their clients using Location-Aided Routing (LAR) as underlying routing protocol. In our position-based system, all nodes including Policy Decision Points (PDPs) and Policy Enforcement Points (PEPs) have GPS capability. These nodes can estimate their positions with GPS by using Extended Kalman Filter (EKF), which also provides velocity information that is required for LAR algorithm to calculate distance traveled by a destination node. We present a dynamic clustering mechanism, a modification in COPS protocol, and a change in LAR protocol, which makes the management more efficient and effective. Our proposed system is first of its kind which uses position information in a management framework.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bischoff, R., Wattenhofer, R.: Analyzing Connectivity-Based Multi-Hop Ad hoc Positioning. PerCom (2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Chadha, R., Cheng, H., Cheng, Y., Chiang, J., Ghetie, A., Levin, G., Tanna, H.: Policy-Based Mobile Ad Hoc Network Management. POLICY (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Capkun, S., Hamdi, M., Hubaux, J.P.: GPS-free Positioning in Mobile Ad hoc Networks. In: Proc. of Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Chen, W., Jain, N., Singh, S.: ANMP: Ad hoc Network Management Protocol. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 1506–1531 (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Durham, D., et al.: The COPS (Common Open Policy Service) Protocol. IETF RFC 2748 (2000)Google Scholar
- 6.Grewal, M.S., et al.: Global Positioning Systems, Inertial Navigation and Integration. John Wiley and Sons, Inc., Chichester (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Ko, Y.-B., Vaidya, N.H.: Location-Aided Routing (LAR) in Mobile Ad hoc Networks. Wireless Networks (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Niculescu, D., Nath, B.: Ad hoc Positioning System (APS). In: Proc. of IEEE Global Communications (GLOBECOM) (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Niculescu, D., Nath, B.: DV based Positioning in Ad hoc Networks. Journal of Telecommunication Systems (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Phanse, K., DaSilva, L.: Protocol Support for Policy-Based Management of Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. NOMS (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.YUMA Almanac: http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/ftp/GPS/almanacs/yuma/
- 14.K-mean Tutorials: http://people.revoledu.com/kardi/tutorial/kMean/index.html