Resource Selection and Application Execution in a Grid: A Migration Experience from GT2 to GT4
The latest Globus Toolkit 4 (GT4) version, fully OGSA compliant and almost completely based on Grid Services, is expected to become the reference version of the Globus Toolkit. Therefore, the necessity to migrate from previous versions, especially the widespread GT2, to GT4 is becoming a relevant issue for many Grid systems.
We present a migration experience from GT2 to GT4 of a simple tool for resource discovery and selection, and execution of parallel applications in a computational Grid environment.
The proposed tool provides a simple and intuitive user interface, a structured view of Grid resources, a simple mechanism for resource selection, and support for application staging and execution.
We discuss some relevant differences between GT2 and GT4, particularly for the Monitoring and Discovering subsystem. GT4 turns out to be more powerful and flexible.
Just because we address the implementation of basic functionalities, the proposed discussion may be of general interest.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Chen, Y., Li, Y., Gong, Z., Zhu, Q.: A framework of a tree-based Grid Information Service. In: Proc. IEEE Int. Conf. on Services Computing (SCC 2005). IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Conti, F.: Tools for execution and simulation of structured parallel programs in a GRID environment, Master Thesis, DISI, University of Genova (I) (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Ferreira, L., et al.: Introduction to Grid Computing with Globus, Ibm Redbooks (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Foster, I., Kesselman, C., Nick, J.M., Tuecke, S.: Grid services for distributed system integration. Computer 35(6) (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Foster, I., Kesselman, C.: The GRID 2: Blueprint for a new computer infrastructure. Elsevier, Amsterdam (2005)Google Scholar
- 7.Grimshaw, A.: Grid services extend Web services. SOAWebServices Journal (July 24, 2003), http://webservices.sys-con.com/read/39829.htm
- 9.Jacob, B., Brown, M., Fukui, K., Trivedi, N.: Introduction to Grid Computing. IBM Redbooks (2005)Google Scholar
- 10.Migrating from GT2 to GT 4.1.0, http://www.globus.org/toolkit/docs/development/4.1.0/toolkit-migrating-gt2.html
- 11.Sotomayor, B.: The Globus Toolkit 4 Programmer’s Tutorial (2005), http://gdp.globus.org/gt4-tutorial/
- 12.VGrADS, http://vgrads.rice.edu/