Ontologizing EDI Semantics
Electronic Data Interchange systems are used to transmit business messages in a compact form, with the meaning of message components positionally determined. We propose translating EDI messages into “semantic” forms in which the statements encoded in the compact forms are explicitly expressed, allowing reasoning based on such messages by any program using the semantic language, allowing their generation and use by Semantic Web services through the use of mediators. We present a system for semantically encoding EDI messages through the use of semantic templates.
KeywordsOntology EDI semantic encoding semantic mediator semantic template WSML Semantic Web Services
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bussler, C.: B2B Integration. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar
- 2.X12/DISA Information Manual, ASC X12S/92-707, Data Interchange Standards Association (DISA), Alexandria, VA (1992) Google Scholar
- 3.Berge, J.: The EDIFACT Standards. NCC Blackwell, Manchester (1991)Google Scholar
- 4.Foxvog, D., Bussler, C.: Ontologizing EDI: First Steps and Experiences. In: Proceedings of the International Workshop on Data Engineering Issues in E-Commerce (DEEC 2005), Tokyo, Japan, April 9, pp. 49–58 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Mocan, A., Cimpian, E.: Web Service Modeling Execution Environment - Conceptual Model (WSMX_O). DERI Technical Report D13.3 v0.3Google Scholar
- 6.Meehan, M.: Aerospace Group Backs New EDI-to-XML Bridge. Computer World, October 12 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Extreme Translator, http://www.xtranslator.com
- 8.Mercator Is First Integration Solution Provider to Offer ACORD, XML, EDI, HIPAA, and SWIFT. Business Wire, May 21 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Accredited Standards Committee X12. The Future of Standards Development: Context Inspired Component Architecture – Using CICA Architecture for Building XML Messages (2004), Available from: http://www.disa.org/x12org/MEETINGS/x12trimt/cica.cfm
- 10.ASC X12 Releases First Set of W3C-Compliant XML Schemas Based on CICA, Insurance News Net, December 15 (2005), Available at: http://www.insurancenewsnet.com/print.asp?a=featured_pr&id=55171
- 11.Crawford, M.: UBL (2001), Available from: http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/
- 12.Lehmann, F., Foxvog, D.: Putting Flesh on the Bones: Issues that Arise in Creating Anatomical Knowledge Bases with Rich Relational Structures. Knowledge Sharing across Biological and Medical Knowledge Based Systems. In: Papers from the 1998 Workshop: Technical Report WS-98-04, Fifteenth National Conference on Artificial Intelligence, Madison, WI, July 26, pp. 41–50 (1998)Google Scholar