A Fuzzy Multiple Criteria Decision Making Model for Airline Competitiveness Evaluation
This paper presents a fuzzy multiple criteria decision making model to the evaluation of airline competitiveness over a period. The evaluation problem is formulated as a fuzzy multiple criteria decision making problem and solved by our strength-weakness based approach. After the strength and weakness matrices for airlines are derived, the weights of criteria, strength matrix and weakness matrix can be aggregated into strength indices and weakness indices for airlines, by which each airline can identify his own strength and weakness. The strength and weakness indices can be further integrated into an overall performance indices, by which airlines can identify their competitiveness ranking.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Oum, T.H., Yu, C.: Cost competitiveness of major airlines: an international comparison. Transportation Research A 32(6), 407–422 (1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Bureau of Industry Economics. Aviation: international performance indicators. Research report 59. Canberra: Australian Government Publishing Service (1994)Google Scholar
- 5.Windle, R.: The world’s airlines: a cost and productivity comparison. Journal of Transport Economics and Policy 25(1), 31–49 (1991)Google Scholar
- 6.Good, D.H., Rhodes, E.L.: Productive efficiency, technological change and the competitiveness of U.S. airlines in the Pacific Rim. Journal of the Transportation Research Forum 31(2), 347–358 (1991)Google Scholar
- 7.Bureau of Transportation and Communications Economics, The progress of aviation reform, Research report 81, Canberra: Australian Government Publishing Service (1993)Google Scholar
- 11.Windle, R., Dresner, M.: A note on productivity comparisons between air carries. Logistics and Transportation Review 31(2), 125–134 (1995)Google Scholar
- 14.Young, C., Lawrence, C., Lee, M.: Assessing service quality as an effective management tool: the case fo the airline industry. Journal of Marketing Theory and Practice 2(2), 76–96 (1994)Google Scholar
- 15.Truitt, L.J., Haynes, R.: Evaluating service quality and productivity in the regional airline industry. Transportation Journal 33(4), 21–32 (1994)Google Scholar
- 17.Hwang, C.L., Yoon, K.: Multiple Attributes Decision Making Methods and Applications. Springer, Heidelberg (1981)Google Scholar
- 18.Lee, H.-S.: A new fuzzy ranking method based on fuzzy preference relation. In: 2000 IEEE International Conference on Systems, Man And Cybernetics, pp. 3416–3420 (2001)Google Scholar
- 19.Lee, H.-S.: An extended fuzzy preference relation for comparison of fuzzy numbers. In: The 6h World Multi-Conference on Systemics, Cybernetics and Informatics, Orlando, USA, XI, July 14-18, pp. 76–79 (2002)Google Scholar