A One-Time Password Authentication Scheme for Secure Remote Access in Intelligent Home Networks
One of the important services that intelligent home networks provide is to remotely control home appliances in home network. However, the remote control service causes intelligent home networks to have various security threats. Thus, for the service, intelligent home networks should provide strong security services, especially user authentication. In this paper, we provide a public key based one-time password authentication scheme for secure remote access in intelligent home networks. To provide 2-factor strong authentication conveniently and cost effectively, we adopt and enhance YEH-SHEN-HWANG’s authentication scheme. Since our scheme uses a server-side public key to addresses the vulnerabilities of YEH-SHEN-HWANG’s scheme, it can securely perform user authentication, server authentication and session key distribution without any pre-shared secret, while defending against server compromise.
KeywordsSmart Card Authentication Scheme Registration Stage Server Spoof Attack Authentication Stage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Sun, H.: Home Networking. Mitsubishi Electric Research Laboratories (2004), http://www.merl.com/projects/hmnt/
- 2.Yeh, T.C., Shen, H.Y., Hwang, J.J.: A Secure One-Time Password Authentication Scheme Using Smart Cards. IEICE Transaction on Communication E85-B(11), 2515–2518 (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Haller, N., Metz, C., Nesser, P., Straw, M.: A one-time password system, RFC 2289 (February 1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Haller, N.: The S/KEY one-time password, RFC 1760 (February 1995)Google Scholar
- 10.Ku, W.C., Chen, C.M., Lee, H.L.: Cryptoanalysis of a Variant of Peyravian-Zunic’s Password Authentication Scheme. IEICE Transaction on Communication E86-B(5), 1682–1684 (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.You, I., Cho, K.: A S/KEY Based Secure Authentication Protocol Using Public Key Cryptography. The KIPS Transactions: Part C 10-C(6) (2003)Google Scholar