Consistent and Elastic Registration of Histological Sections Using Vector-Spline Regularization
Here we present a new image registration algorithm for the alignment of histological sections that combines the ideas of B-spline based elastic registration and consistent image registration, to allow simultaneous registration of images in two directions (direct and inverse). In principle, deformations based on B-splines are not invertible. The consistency term overcomes this limitation and allows registration of two images in a completely symmetric way. This extension of the elastic registration method simplifies the search for the optimum deformation and allows registering with no information about landmarks or deformation regularization. This approach can also be used as the first step to solve the problem of group-wise registration.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fernandez-Gonzalez, R., Jones, A., Garcia-Rodriguez, E., Chen, P.Y., Idica, A., Barcellos-Hoff, M.H., Ortiz-de-Solorzano, C.: A System for Combined Three-Dimensional Morphological and Molecular Analysis of Thick Tissue Speciments. Microscope Research and Technique 59(6), 522–530 (2002)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 3.Hajnal, J.V., Hill, D.L.G., Hawkes, D.J. (eds.): Medical image registration. CRC Press, Boca Raton (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Arganda-Carreras, I., Fernandez-Gonzalez, R., Ortiz-de-Solorzano, C.: Automatic Registration of Serial Mammary Gland Sections. In: The 26th International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBS), San Francisco, California, September 1-5 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Huang, J., Abendschein, D., Dávila-Román, V.G., Amini, A.A.: Spatio-Temporal Tracking of Myocardial Deformations with a 4-D B-Spline Model from Tagged MRI. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging 18(10) (October 1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Rueckert, D., Sonoda, L.I., Hayes, C., Hill, D.L.G., Leach, M.O., Hawkes, D.J.: Nonrigid Registration Using Free-Form Deformations: Application to Breast MR Images. IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging 18(8) (August 1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Christensen, G.E., He, J.: Consistent nonlinear elastic image registration. In: Mathematical Methods in Biomedical Image Analysis, MMBIA 2001. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Avants, B.B., Schoenemann, P.T., Gee, J.C.: Lagrangian frame diffeomorphic image registration: Morphometric comparison of human and chimpanzee cortex. Medical Image Analysis (in press)Google Scholar