Application of Fuzzy Logic in Safety Computing for a Power Protection System
The paper proposes and exemplifies how to use the fuzzy logic in the critical analysis of the faults including abnormal workings, for the most important elements in Power Systems. An original fuzzy logic-system enables us to analyze the qualitative evaluation of an Electric Transformer Protection System. A fuzzy event-tree allows the use of verbal statement for probabilities and consequences, such as very high, moderate and low probability. The technique is used for quantitative results computing, as "General Safety Degree" associated to all the paths in the tree. The paper focuses on the “General Safety Degree” algorithm. The application of fuzzy logic system is further demonstrated for a case study. A complex software tool named “Fuzzy Event Tree Analysis” had to be elaborated on this purpose.
KeywordsFuzzy Logic Fuzzy Number Failure Probability Protection System Linguistic Variable
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bastani, F.B., Chen, I.R.: Reliability of Systems with Fuzzy-Failure Criterion. In: Proc. Ann. Reliability and Maintainability Symp., pp. 265–270 (1994)Google Scholar
- 2.Bowles, J.B., Pelaez, C.E.: Application of Fuzzy Logic to Reliability Engineering. Proceedings of the IEEE 3, 99–107 (1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Dumitrescu, M., Munteanu, T.: Fuzzy Probability and Power System Safety. In: Reusch, B. (ed.) Fuzzy Days 2001. LNCS, vol. 2206, pp. 886–889. Springer, Heidelberg (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Dumitrescu, M., Munteanu, T., Floricau, D.: A Software for Electric-Power Fuzzy Critical Analysis. In: IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy Systems, July 25-29, 2004, pp. 168–172 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Kenarangui, R.: Verbal rating of alternative sites using multiple criteria weights. Trans. ANS 33, 617–619 (1979)Google Scholar
- 7.Kenarangui, R.: Event - tree Analysis by Fuzzy Probability. IEEE Trans. on Reliability 1, 45–52 (1991)Google Scholar
- 8.Kumar, A., Ragade, R.: An Extended Reliability Evaluation Framework for Computer Systems Using Fuzzy Logic. In: Proc. Ann. Reliability and Maintainability Symp., pp. 317–323 (1994)Google Scholar
- 9.Mendel, J.M.: Fuzzy Logic Systems for Engineering: A Tutorial. Proceedings of the IEEE 3, 295–390 (1995)Google Scholar