Mutual Information Based Measure for Image Content Characterization
An image can be decomposed into different elementary descriptors depending on the observer interest. Similar techniques as used to understand words, regarded as molecules, formed by combining atoms, are proposed to describe images based on their information content. In this paper, we use primitive feature extraction and clustering to code the image information content. Our purpose is to describe the complexity of the information based on the combinational profile of the clustered primitive features using entropic measures like mutual information and Kullback-Leibler divergence. The developed method is demonstrated to asses image complexity for further applications to improve Earth Observation image analysis for sustainable humanitarian crisis response in risk reduction.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Daschiel, H., Datcu, M.: Image information mining - Exploration of Earth Observation archives. Geographica Helvetica 58, 154–168 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Datcu, M., Daschiel, H., Pelizzari, A., Quartulli, M., Galoppo, A., Colapicchioni, A., Pastori, M., Seidel, K., Marchetti, P.G., D’Elia, S.: Information mining in remote sensing image archives -Part A: System Concepts. IEEE Trans on Geosciences and Remote Sensing, 2923–2936 (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Datcu, M., Stoichescu, D.A., Seidel, K., Iorga, C.: Model fitting and model evidence for multiscale image texture analysis. In: American Institute of Physics, AIP Conference Proceedings, vol. 735, pp. 35–42 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Datcu, M., Seidel, K., D’Elia, S., Marchetti, P.G.: Knowledge-driven Information Mining in Remote-Sensing Image Archives. ESA Bulletin 110, 26–33 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Gonzalez, R., Woods, R.: Digital Image Processing. Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Jain, R.: Unified access to universal knowledge: Next generation search experience. Ramesh Jain-White papers (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Rao, A., Srihari, R.K., Zhu, L., Zhang, A.: A method for measuring the complexity of image databases. IEEE Trans. on Multimedia 40(2), 160–173 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Shannon, L.E.: A mathematical theory of communication. Bell Systems Technical Journal, 27 (1948)Google Scholar
- 13.Shiryayev, A.M.: Selected works of A. Academic Publishers, New York (1993)Google Scholar
- 14.Smeulders, A., Worring, M., Gupta, S.S., Jain, A.: Content based image retrieval at the end of early years. IEEE Trans Pattern Anal Machine Intell 22(12) (2000)Google Scholar
- 15.Spataru, A.: Fondements de la thorie de la transmission de l’information. Lausanne: Presses Polytechniques Romandes (1987)Google Scholar