Model-Driven Development with SDL – Process, Tools, and Experiences
Model-Driven Development is a challenge and a promising methodology for creating next-generation software systems. In this paper, we present SDL-MDD, a model-driven development process that is based on the ITU-T design language SDL. We present a semantically integrated tool suite, especially supporting model-driven code generation and model-driven simulation. Both production and simulation code are entirely generated from SDL models and automatically instrumented to interface with different operating systems and communication technologies. The use of SDL-MDD and of the tool suite is illustrated by an extensive case study from the ubiquitous computing domain.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.International Telecommunications Union. Specification and Description Language (SDL). ITU-T Recommendation Z.100 (August 2002) Google Scholar
- 3.Miller, J., Mukerji, J. (eds.): MDA Guide Version 1.0.1. OMG (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.International Telecommunications Union. Message sequence chart (MSC). ITU-T Recommendation Z.120 (April 1996)Google Scholar
- 6.The Network Simulator ns-2. Information Sciences Institute, University of Southern California, http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns
- 7.Fliege, I., Geraldy, A.: NXP/MPR - An Optimized Ad-Hoc Flooding Algorithm. Technical Report 343/05, Computer Science Department, University of Kaiserslautern, Germany (2005) Google Scholar
- 8.Hogrefe, D., Werner, C.: UML Profile for Communicating Systems, Technical Report No. IFI–TB–2006–03, Institute for Informatics, University of Göttingen, Germany (March 2006), ISSN 1611–1044 Google Scholar
- 9.Mellor, S.J., Balcer, M.J.: Executable UML: A Foundation for Model Driven Architecture. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Object Management Group. Unified Modeling Language 2.0 Infrastucture. Final Adopted Specification (2004), http://www.omg.org/cgi-bin/doc?ptc/2003-09-15
- 11.Telelogic AB: TAU SDT, http://www.telelogic.com/products/tau/index.cfm
- 12.PragmaDev: RTDS V3.1, http://www.pragmadev.com/