Facilitating the Definition of General Constraints in UML
One important aspect in the specification of conceptual schemas is the definition of general constraints that cannot be expressed by the predefined constructs provided by conceptual modeling languages. In general this is done by means of general-purpose languages, like OCL. In this paper we propose a new approach to facilitate the definition of such general constraints in UML. More precisely, we define a profile that extends the set of UML predefined constraints with some types of constraints that are used very frequently in conceptual schemas. We also study the application of our ideas to the specification of two real-life applications and we show how results in constraint-related problems may be easily incorporated to our proposal.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Costal, D., Gómez, C., Queralt, A., Raventós, R., Teniente, E.: Facilitating the Definition of General Constraints in UML (extended version). Technical Report LSI-06-14-R (2006), http://www.lsi.upc.edu/dept/techreps
- 4.Frías, L., Queralt, A., Olivé, A.: EU-Rent Car Rentals Specification. Technical Report LSI-03-59-R (2003), http://www.lsi.upc.edu/dept/techreps
- 5.Halpin, T.: Information Modeling and Relational Databases: From Conceptual Analysis to Logical Design. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.ISO/TC97/SC5/WG3. van Griethuysen, J.J. (ed.): Concepts and Terminology for the Conceptual Schema and the Information Base (1982) Google Scholar
- 8.Mellor, S.J., Balcer, M.J.: Executable UML: A Foundation for Model-Driven Architecture, Object Technology edn. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Miliauskaitė, E., Nemuraitė, L.: Representation of Integrity Constraints in Conceptual Models. Information Technology and Control 34(4) (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.OMG: MDA Guide Version 1.0.1, omg/2003-06-01 (2003) Google Scholar
- 12.OMG: UML2.0 OCL Specification, OMG Adopted Specification (2005) Google Scholar
- 13.Queralt, A., Teniente, E.: A Platform Independent Model for the Electronic Marketplace Domain. Technical Report LSI-05-9-R (2005), http://www.lsi.upc.edu/dept/techreps
- 14.Rumbaugh, J., Jacobson, I., Booch, G.: The Unified Modeling Language Reference Manual, 2nd edn. Addison-Wesley, Reading (2005)Google Scholar
- 15.Warmer, J., Kleppe, A.: The Object Constraint Language: Getting Your Models Ready for MDA, 2nd edn. Addison-Wesley Professional, Reading (2003)Google Scholar