Evolutionary Computation Technique Applied to HSPF Model Calibration of a Spanish Watershed
Hydrological Simulation Program Fortan (HSPF) is a mathematical modelling program developed by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). HSPF is used for simulating of watershed hidrology and water quality. In this paper, an evolutionary algorithm is applied to automated watershed model calibration. The calibration stage of the model is very important in order to reduce the errors in hydrological predictions. Results show the capacity of the proposed method to simulate watershed streamflows.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Singh, V.P.: Environmental Hydrology. Kluwer Academic, Borton (1995)Google Scholar
- Bricknell, B.R., Imhoff, J.C., Kittle, J.L. Donigian Jr., A.S., Johanson, R.C.: Hydrological Simulation Program - Fortran. User’s Manual for Realese 11. EPA-600/R-97-080, USEPA, Athens, GA, p. 755 (1997)Google Scholar
- Liong, S.Y., Van Nguyen, V.T., Gautam, T.R., Wee, L.: Alternative well calibrated rainfall-runoff model: genetic programming scheme. Paper presented at World Water and Environmental Resources Congress 2001 (papers on CD-ROM), May 20-24 2001, Orlando, Florida, USA (2001)Google Scholar
- Crawford, H.H., Linsley, R.K.: Digital Simulation in Hydrology: Stanford Watershed Model IV. Technical Report No. 39, Dept. of Civil Eng., Stanford University, Stanford, CA (1966)Google Scholar
- Zarriello, P.J., Ries III, K.G.: A Precipitation-Runoff Model for Analysis of the Effects of Water Withdrawals on Streamflow, Ipswich River Basin, Massachusetts. USGS Water Resources Investigations Report 00-4029. p. 99 (2000)Google Scholar
- Donigian Jr., A.S., Chinnaswamy, R.V., Jobes, T.H.: Conceptual Design of Multipurpose Detention Facilities for flood protection and Nonpoint Source Pollution Control, Aqua Terra Consultants, Mountain View, CA, 151 p (1997)Google Scholar
- Goldberg, D.E.: Genetic algorithm in search, optimization, and machine learning. Addison-Wesley, Reading (1989)Google Scholar
- Moyer, D.L., Hyer, K.E.: Use of Hydrological Simulation Program - Fortran and Bacterial Source Tracking for Development of the Fecal Coliform Total Maximum Daily Load (TMDL) for Blacks Run, Rockingham Country, Virginia. U.S. Geological Survey. Water Resources Investigations Report 03-4161. 2003. Google Scholar
- Donigian Jr., A.S., Imhoff, J.C., Kittle Jr., J.L.: HSPFParm - An interactive database of HSPF model parameters, Version 1.0. EPA-823-R-99-004, USEPA, Washington, DC, p. 40 (1999)Google Scholar
- Kamali, M., Ponnambalam, K., Soulis, E.D.: Hydrologic model Calibration using Fuzzy TSK surrogate model. In: NAFIPS 2005, Annual Meeting of the North American Fuzzy Inf. Proc. Soc (2005)Google Scholar