Diagnostic of Programs for Programming Learning Tools
It is not easy for a student to develop programming skills and learn how to construct their own problem solving algorithms. Well designed materials and tools can guide programming students knowledge and skill construction. Such tools may allow students to acquire better and faster, the necessary programming skills. In this paper we show the results of some experiments realized on a set of faulty student’s programs using ProPAT_deBUG, an automatic program debugger, based on the Model Based Diagnosis technique of Artificial Intelligence. The results show that during the interactive debugging process it is possible for a student to learn by answering the questions posed by the AI diagnosis system to discriminate its fault hypotheses.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Benjamins, R.: Problem Solving Methods for Diagnosis. PhD thesis, University of Amsterdam (1993)Google Scholar
- 2.Mateis, C., Stumptner, M., Wotawa, F.: A Value-Based Diagnosis Model for Java Programs. In: Eleventh International Workshop On Principles of Diagnosis, DX (2000), http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/staff/wotawa/dx2000c.ps.gz
- 3.Mayer, W., Stumptner, M., Wieland, D., Wotawa, F.: Observations and Results Gained from the Jade Project. In: International Workshop on Principles of Diagnosis DX 2002 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Wieland, D.: Model-Based Debugging of Java Programs Using Dependencies. PhD thesis, Technische Universität Wien (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Parr, T.: ANTLR: Parser generator (1989), http://www.antlr.org/
- 9.Jones, J., Harrold, M., Stasko, J.: Visualization of test information to assist fault localization (2002)Google Scholar