Iterative 3-D Pose Correction and Content-Based Image Retrieval for Dorsal Fin Recognition
Contour or boundary descriptors may be used in content-based image retrieval to effectively identify appropriate images when image content consists primarily of a single object of interest. The registration of object contours for the purposes of comparison is complicated when the objects of interest are characterized by open contours and when reliable feature points for contour alignment are absent. We present an application that employs an iterative approach to the alignment of open contours for the purposes of image retrieval and demonstrate its success in identifying individual bottlenose dolphins from the profiles of their dorsal fins.
KeywordsFeature Point Active Contour Bottlenose Dolphin Sperm Whale Humpback Whale
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Burnell, S.R., Shanahan, D.: A note on a prototype system for simple computer-assisted matching of individually identified southern right whales, Eubalaena australis. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management Supplement 2, 297–300 (2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Defran, R.H., Shultz, G.M., Weller, D.W.: Technique for the photographic identification and cataloging of dorsal fins of the bottlenose dolphin (tursiops truncatus). Report to the International Whaling Commission Special Issue 12, 53–55 (1990)Google Scholar
- 5.Hiby, A.R., Lovell, P.: Computer-aided matching of natural markings: A prototype system for grey seals. Report to the International Whaling Commission (special issue 12), 57–61 (1990)Google Scholar
- 6.Hiby, A.R., Lovell, P.: A note on an automated system for matching of callosity patterns on aerial photographs of southern right whales. Journal of Cetacean Research and Management Supplement 2, 291–295 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Kass, M., Witkin, A., Terzopoulos, D.: Snakes: Active contour models. International Journal of Computer Vision, 321–331 (1988)Google Scholar
- 12.Mizroch, S.A., Beard, J.A., Lynde, M.: Computer-assisted photo-identification of humpback whales. Report to the International Whaling Commission (special issue 12), 63–70 (1990)Google Scholar
- 14.Uyeyama, R.K., Herman, L.M.: Automated fluke-contour matching of humpback whales using a wavelet-based algorithm. In: 14th Biennial Conference on the Biology of Marine Mammals (abstract), Vancouver, p. 221 (2001)Google Scholar
- 15.Whitehead, H.: Computer-assisted individual identification of sperm whale flukes. Report to the International Whaling Commission (special issue 12), 71–77 (1990)Google Scholar