A Fast Motion Vector Search Algorithm for Variable Blocks
A fast motion estimation (ME) algorithm is proposed to search motion vectors for variable blocks. The proposed method is based on the successive elimination algorithm (SEA) using sum norms to find the best estimate of the motion vectors and to implement efficient calculations for variable blocks. The proposed ME algorithm is applied to the Joint Video Team (JVT) encoder that performs a variable-block ME. In terms of computational complexity, the proposed ME algorithm with limited search range searches motion vectors at about 6.3 times as fast as the spiral full search and 5.5 times as fast as the fast full search using the hierarchical sum of absolute difference (SAD), while the PSNR (peak signal-to-noise ratio) of the reconstructed image is slightly degraded with only 0.1~0.4 dB.
KeywordsMotion Vector Motion Estimation Full Search Variable Block Joint Video Team
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.ITU Telecom. Standardization Sector, Video Codec Test Model Near-Term, Version 10 (TMN10) Draft 1, H.263 Ad Hoc Group (April 1998)Google Scholar
- 2.Information Technology - Coding of Audio-Visual Objects Part2: Visual Amendment 1: Visual Extensions. ISO/IEC JTC1/SC29/WG11 N3056 (December 1999) Google Scholar
- 3.Wiegand, T.: Final draft international standard for joint video specification H.264. In: JVT of ISO/IEC MPEG and ITU-T VCEG, JVT-G050 (March 2003) Google Scholar
- 4.Koga, T., Iinuma, K., Hirano, A., Iijima, Y., Ishiguro, T.: Motion compensated interframe coding for video conferencing. In: Proc. Nat. Telecommunications Conf., New Orleans, LA, November 1981, pp. G.5.3.1–G.5.3.5 (1981)Google Scholar
- 6.Srinivansan, R., Rao, K.: Predictive coding based on efficient motion estimation. IEEE Trans. Commun. COM-33, 1011–1015 (1985)Google Scholar
- 11.Sullivan, G., Wiegand, T.: Rate-Distortion Optimization for Video Compression. IEEE Signal Processing Magazine, 74–90 (November 1998)Google Scholar
- 12.Young, D.M., Gregory, R.T.: A Survey of Numerical Mathematics, vol. 2, pp. 759–762. Dover, New York (1988)Google Scholar
- 13.Chen, Z., Zhou, P., He, Y.: Fast Motion Estimation for JVT. JVT of ISO/IEC MPEG & ITU-T VCEG, JVT-G016 (March 2003)Google Scholar