Distributed Digital Libraries Platform in the PIONIER Network
One of the main focus areas of the PIONIER: Polish Optical Internet program was the development and verification of pilot services and applications for the information society. It was necessary to create a base for new developments in science, education, health care, natural environment, government and local administration, industry and services. Examples of such services are digital libraries, allowing to create multiple content and metadata repositories which can be used as a basis for the creation of sophisticated content-based services. In this paper we are presenting the current state of digital library services in the PIONIER network, we shortly describe dLibra – a digital library framework which is the software platform for the majority of PIONIER digital libraries. We also introduce two content-based services enabled on PIONIER digital libraries: distributed metadata harvesting and searching and virtual dynamic collections.
KeywordsDigital libraries service-oriented architecture metadata harvesting virtual collections distributed searching distributed resources syndication
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mazurek, C., Werla, M.: Distributed Services Architecture in dLibra Digital Library Framework. In: 8th DELOS Workshop on Future Digital Library Management Systems, Workshop Proceedings (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Heliński, M., Mazurek, C., Werla, M.: Distributed Digital Library Architecture for Business Solutions. In: EUROMEDIA 2005 Conference, Conference Proceedings (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Mazurek, C., Werla, M.: Digital Object Lifecycle in dLibra Digital Library Framework. In: 9th DELOS Workshop on Interoperability and Common Service, Workshop Proceedings (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Mazurek, C., Stroiński, M., Werla, M., Węglarz, J.: Metadata harvesting in regional digital libraries in PIONIER Network. In: TNC 2006 Conference, Conference Proceedings (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Bekaert, J., et al.: Using MPEG-21 DIDL to Represent Complex Digital Objects in the Los Alamos National Laboratory Digital Library. D-Lib Magazine 9(11) (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Kosiedowski, M., Mazurek, C., Werla, M.: Digital Library Grid Scenarios. In: European Workshop on the Integration of Knowledge, Semantics and Digital Media Technology, Workshop Proceedings (2004)Google Scholar