Design, Implementation, and Evaluation of a Wizard Tool for Setting Up Component-Based Digital Libraries
Although component-based architectures favor the building and extension of digital libraries, the configuration of such systems is not a trivial task. Our approach to simplify the tasks of constructing and customizing component-based digital libraries is based on an assistant tool: a setup wizard that segments those tasks into well-defined steps and drives the user along these steps. For generality purposes, the architecture of the wizard is based on the 5S framework and different wizard versions can be specialized according to the pool of components being configured. This paper describes the design and implementation of this wizard, as well as usability experiments designed to evaluate it.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Buchanan, G., Bainbridge, D., Don, K.J., Witten, I.H.: A new framework for building digital library collections. In: Proceedings of the 5th ACM-IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, pp. 25–31 (2005)Google Scholar
- 2.Burbeck, S.: Applications Programming in Smalltalk-80: How to use Model-View- Controller (MVC). Tech. report. Softsmarts Inc. (1987)Google Scholar
- 3.CITIDEL (March 2006), http://www.citidel.org
- 4.Digital Libraries in a Box (March 2006), http://dlbox.nudl.org
- 5.Eyambe, L., Suleman, H.: A Digital Library Component Assembly Environment. In: Proceedings of the 2004 Annual Research Conference of the SAICSIT on IT Research in Developing Countries, pp. 15–22 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Laender, A.H.F., Gonçalves, M.A., Roberto, P.A.: BDBComp: Building a Digital Library for the Brazilian Computer Science Community. In: Proceedings of the 4th ACM-IEEE Joint Conference on Digital Libraries, pp. 23–24 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.MSDN (March 2006), http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/dnwue/html/ch13h.asp
- 9.Open Archives in a Box (March 2006), http://dlt.ncsa.uiuc.edu/oaib
- 10.Roberto, P.A.: Um Arcabouço Baseado em Componentes, Serviços Web e Arquivos Abertos para Construção de Bibliotecas Digitais. Master’s thesis, Federal University of Minas Gerais (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Rumbaugh, J., Jacobson, I., Booch, G.: The Unified Modeling Language Reference Manual. Addison-Wesley Professional, Reading (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Santos, R.L.T.: Um Assistente para Configuração de Bibliotecas Digitais Componentizadas. In: I Workshop in Digital Libraries, Proceedings of the XX Brazilian Symposium on Databases, pp. 11–20 (2005)Google Scholar
- 13.Suleman, H., Fox, E.A.: A Framework for Building Open Digital Libraries. D-Lib Magazine 7 (2001)Google Scholar