Towards SLA-Supported Resource Management
Achievements and experiences in projects with focus on resource management have shown that the goals and needs of High Performance Computing service providers have not or only inadequately been taken into account in Grid research and development. Mapping real-life business behaviour and workflows within the service provider domain to the electronic level implies focusing on the business rules of the provider as well as on the complexity of the jobs and the current state of the HPC system. This paper describes an architectural approach towards a business-oriented and Service Level Agreement-supported resource management, valuable for High Performance Computing providers to offer and sell their services. With the introduction of a Conversion Factory the authors present a component that is able to combine the Service Level Agreement, the system status, and all business objectives of the provider in order to address the business needs of service providers in the Grid.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Andrieux, A., Czajkowski, K., Dan, A., Keahey, K., Ludwig, H., Nakata, T., Pruyne, J., Rofrano, J., Tuecke, S., Xu, M.: Web Services Agreement Specification (WS-Agreement), Version 2005/09 (September 2005)Google Scholar
- 2.The BREIN project. Website, http://www.gridsforbusiness.eu
- 3.Cristiano, K., Gruber, R., Keller, V., Kuonen, P., Maffioletti, S., Nellari, N., Sawley, M.-C., Spada, M., Tran, T.-M., Wieder, P., Ziegler, W.: Integration of ISS into the VIOLA Meta-scheduling Environment. In: Gorlach, S., Danelutto, M. (eds.) Proc. of the Integrated Research in Grid Computing Workshop, Università di Pisa, November 28–30, pp. 357–366 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Foster, I., Kishimoto, H., Savva, A., et al.: The Open Grid Services Architecture, Version 1.0 (January 2005), http://www.ggf.org/documents/GFD.30.pdf
- 7.Kephart, J.O., Chess, D.M.: The Vision of autonomic computing. IEEE Computer 36(1), 41–50 (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Li, L., Horrocks, I.: A Software Framework for Matchmaking Based on Semantic Web Technology. In: Proc. of the Twelfth International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2003), Budapest, Hungary, May 20–24. ACM, New York (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Ludwig, H., Keller, A., Dan, A., King, R.P., Franck, R.: Web Service Level Agreement (WSLA) Language Specification (2003), http://www.research.ibm.com/wsla/WSLASpecV1-20030128.pdf
- 10.Masche, P., Mckee, P., Mitchell, B.: The Increasing Role of Service Level Agreements in B2B Systems. In: Proc. of WEBIST 2006 – 2nd International Conference on Web Information Systems and Technologies, Setúbal, Portugal, April 11–13 (to appear, 2006)Google Scholar
- 11.The NextGRID project. Website, June 24 (2006), http://www.nextgrid.org/
- 12.The TrustCoM project. Website, June 24 (2006), http://www.eu-trustcom.com/