Design Methods for Collaborative Emergent Processes
Organizations are often faced with managing a variety of processes. These range from predefined to emergent. There has been very little work on supporting emergent processes many of which are founded on collaboration between process workers. A variety of technologies are available to support collaboration. However, people in most business processes still use the basic technologies such as e-mail or intranet information portals and do not fully realize the advantages provided by emerging technologies. This paper describes a method for extending collaboration beyond simple exchanges and into collaborative work process support.
KeywordsSituation analysis Collaboration Knowledge Sharing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Artail, H.: Application of KM measures to the impact of a specialized groupware system on corporate productivity and operations. In: Information and Management. Elsevier Press, Amsterdam (2006)Google Scholar
- 2.Hansen, M.T., Nohria, N., Tierney, T.: Whats your Strategy for Managing Knowledge. Harvard Business Review, 106–116 (March-April 1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Jacobs, J.L., Dorneich, C.P., Jones, P.M.: Activity Representation and Management for Crisis Action Planning. In: IEEE International Conference on Systems, Management and Cybernetics, October 1998, pp. 961–966 (1998)Google Scholar
- 4.Hawryszkiewycz, I.T.: A Framework for Strategic Planning for Communications Support. In: Proceedings of The inaugural Conference of Informatics in Multinational Enterprises, Washington, October, 1997, pp. 141–151 (1997)Google Scholar
- 5.Hofstede, G.: Culture’s Consequences: International Differences in Work-related values. Sage, Beverly Hills (1980)Google Scholar
- 6.Whittaker, S., Swanson, J., Kucan, J., Sidner, C.:: Telenotes: Managing lightweight interactions in the desktop (1999)Google Scholar
- 7.Anderson, K.M., Anderson, A., Wadhwani, W., Bartolo, L.: Metis: A lightweight, Flexible, and Web-based Workflow Services for Digital Libraries. In: Proceedings 3rd. ACM/IEEE conference on digital libraries, May 2003, pp. 98–109 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhang, J., Patel, V., Johnson, K., Smith, J.: Designing Human Centered Distributed Information Systems. IEEE Intelligent Systems, 42–47 (September/October 2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Livenet: http://livenet4.it.uts.edu.au