Jini-Based Ubiquitous Computing Middleware Supporting Event and Context Management Services
The key feature of ubiquitous computing services or applications is that they should be highly adaptive to events and context information. These factors are essential in ubiquitous computing environments. The services and applications must communicate with each other through fixed or ad-hoc networks. In ubiquitous computing, the event and context managers must be provided at the middleware level, for convenient development of associated applications. In this paper, ubiquitous computing middleware supporting event and context management services are proposed. The JavaSpaces service in Jini network technology is proposed to modify and develop the event manager, because JavaSpaces contains various interfaces that can be used to implement event management services, such as write, read and notify. Due to excellent GUI support, Macromedia Flash was used to represent the virtual ubiquitous computing environment, with communications through XMLSocket. It is demonstrated that the developed event and context managers can make it straightforward to efficiently develop ubiquitous computing applications.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Romn, M., Hess, C., et al.: Gaia - A Middleware Infrastructure to Enable Active Spaces. In: IEEE Pervasive Computing (October-December 2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Huang, P., Lenders, V., Minnig, P., Widmer, M.: Jini for Ubiquitous Devices. ETH TIK-Nr. 137 (June 2002)Google Scholar
- 7.CORBA services: Common Object Services Specification, OMG Specification. Object Management Group (November 1997)Google Scholar
- 8.Siegel, J.: CORBA 3 - Fundamentals and Programming. Object Management Group (2000)Google Scholar
- 9.Keith Edwards, W., Edwards, W.: Core Jini. Pearson Education, London (2000)Google Scholar
- 10.Nakajima, T., Fujinami, K., et al.: Middleware Design Issues for Ubiquitous Computing. In: The 3rd international conference on Mobile and ubiquitous multimedia (October 2004)Google Scholar