Using JDOSecure to Introduce Role-Based Permissions to Java Data Objects-Based Applications
The Java Data Objects specification is designed as lightweight persistence approach. Thus, JDO neither supports user authentication nor role-based authorization. Consequently, users are able to query the entire data store as well as to delete persistent objects without any restriction. The novel security approach JDOSecure was developed at the University of Mannheim to prevent unauthorized access to the data store while using the JDO API. Based on the dynamic proxy approach, JDOSecure introduces role-based permissions to JDO-based applications. In this paper we focuses on how JDOSecure enables Java Data Objects-based applications to deal with role-based permissions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- [Blo00]Blosser, J.: Explore the Dynamic Proxy API (2000), http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/DataTypes/proxy/
- [GHJV95]Gamma, E., Helm, R., Johnson, R., Vlissides, J.: Design Patterns, Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software, 1st edn. Addison-Wesley Longman Publishing Co. Inc., Boston (1995)Google Scholar
- [Gon02]Gong, L.: Java 2 Platform Security Architecture (2002), http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/security/spec/security-spec.doc.html
- [Jav03]Java Community Process. JSR-153: Enterprise JavaBeans 2.1 (2003)Google Scholar
- [Jav04]Java Community Process. JSR-012: Java Data Objects (JDO) Specification, Maintenance Draft Review (2004)Google Scholar
- [KM03]Korthaus, A., Merz, M.: A Critical Analysis of JDO in the Context of J2EE. In: Ban, A.-A., Arabnia, H.R., Youngsong, M. (eds.) Proceedings of the 2003 International Conference on Software Engineering Research and Practice (SERP 2003), vol. 1, pp. 34–40. CSREA Press (2003)Google Scholar
- [Mer06]Merz, M.: Using the Dynamic Proxy Approach to Introduce Role-Based Security to Java Data Objects. In: Eighteenth International Conference on Software Engineering and Knowledge Engineering (SEKE 2006), San Francisco, USA, July 5-7 (2006)Google Scholar
- [Sun05]Sun Microsystems. The Java Language Specification, 3rd edn. Addison-Wesley Professional (2005)Google Scholar
- [The01]TheServerSide.COM. Craig Russell Responds to Roger Sessions’ Critique of JDO (2001), http://www.theserverside.com/articles/article.tss?l=RusselvsSessions
- [The03]TheServerSide.COM. A Criticism of Java Data Objects (JDO) (2003), http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=8571