A New Methodology of QoS Evaluation and Service Selection for Ubiquitous Computing
- 577 Downloads
Ubiquitous Computing (UbiComp) has become a new computing model in computer systems. However, the characteristics of UbiComp, such as context-awareness, mobility and resource-limitedness, pose challenges for service infrastructure to provide effective service provision. In this paper, we present a suit of user-oriented models and methods that support dynamic Quality of Service (QoS) evaluation and adaptive service selection for UbiComp: 1) We propose a user-oriented QoS model with hierarchical structure to achieve scalability and flexibility; 2) An extended context model with time dimension is employed in QoS evaluation; 3) To capture the weights of quality criteria, we design a user preference model based on linguistic variable; 4) We also model QoS evaluation and service selection as the combination of first order logic inference and hierarchical fuzzy logic evaluation. A case study is presented to demonstrate the effectiveness of our approach.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Project of Adaptive Service Provision Framework, http://hornet.sjtu.edu.cn
- 4.De Moor, A., Van Den Heuvel, W.-J.: Web Service Selection in Virtual Communities. In: Proceedings of the Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Big Island, HI., United States, vol. 37, pp. 3105–3114 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Chalmers, D., Sloman, M.: A Survey of Quality of Service in Mobile Computing Environments. IEEE Communications Surveys (Second Quarter,1999), 2–10 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Elfatatry, A.: Service-Oriented Software: A Negotiation Perspective. Ph.D. disserta-tion,University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology, Manchester, U.K. (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Schilit, B., Adams, N., Want, R.: Context-aware computing applications. In: Mobile Computing Systems and Applications - Workshop Proceedings, Santa Cruz, CA, USA, pp. 85–90 (1995)Google Scholar
- 13.Menasce, D.A.: QoS Issues in Web Services. IEEE Internet Computing 6 (2002)Google Scholar
- 14.Liu, Y., Ngu, A.H.H., Zeng, L.: QoS computation and policing in dynamic web service selection. In: 13th International World Wide Web Conference Proceedings, WWW 2004, New York, NY, United States, pp. 798–805 (2004)Google Scholar