Modeling and Analysis for an Enhanced Three-Tier Dynamic Location Management in 3G
Location management is a key function in mobile communication systems to guarantee the mobile terminals to continuously receive services. In this paper, we study an enhanced movement-based location management scheme for 3G cellular networks where the home location registers, gateway location registers and visitor location registers form a three-tier hierarchical mobility database structure. Furthermore, we formulate analytically the cost model of location update and paging for the proposed scheme and compare the proposed scheme with the basic movement-based location management scheme. The outcomes show that the enhanced movement-based location management scheme outperforms the other scheme.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Mobile Application Part (MAP) Specification, Version 4.8.0, ETSI/TC, Technical Report, Recommendation GSM 09.02 (1994)Google Scholar
- 2.Cellular Intersystem Operations, EIA/TIA, Technical Report IS-4 (1995)Google Scholar
- 3.Gateway Location Register (GLR)-Stage2, 3G TS 23.119 V3.0.0 (March 2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Bhat, V., Khati, D.S.: Timer Based Dynamic Location Management. In: Wireless Telecommunications Symposium, pp. 55–60 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Lee, Y., Lee, G.Y.: Optimal Time-Interval for Time-based Location Update in Mobile Communications. In: Global Telecommunications Conference, pp. 2079–2083 (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Wong, V.W.-S., Leung, V.C.M.: An Adaptive Distance-Based Location Update Algorithm for PCS Networks. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications, pp. 2001–2005 (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Senzaki, D., Chakraborty, G.: Distance based location management in cellular PCS network –a critical study. In: The 18th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Application, pp. 95–98 (2004)Google Scholar
- 9.Li, L., Pan, Y., Li, J.: An Improved Movement-Based Location Management Scheme for PCS Network. In: IEEE 58th Vehicular Technology Conference, pp. 757–760 (2003)Google Scholar
- 12.Rong, C., Senmiao, Y., Jinquan, Z.: A Dynamic Location Management Method of Personal Communication System. IEEE E-Tech, 1–9 (2004)Google Scholar