An Altitude Based Dynamic Routing Scheme for Ad Hoc Networks
- 516 Downloads
Ad-hoc On-Demand Distance Vector Routing (AODV) is a famous routing protocol for mobile ad hoc networks. Routing path established with AODV remains unchanged during data transmission unless the link fails. Due to the mobile nature of nodes in an ad hoc network, the network topology changes frequently. As a result, some intermediate nodes of an earlier established path may later become redundant and results in packet routing through longer link. In addition, a path established at one time may later be broken due to some intermediate nodes of the path move out of the range. In this paper, we propose an ad hoc network routing protocol with both dynamic link shortening and broken avoidance features. Each node only needs to turn on its overhearing function and keeps minimal extra information. The simulation results show that the proposed protocol does improve the performance of the AODV protocol in terms of data delivery ratio, average delay time, and the network overhead.
KeywordsAd hoc network Path shortening Link broken avoidance AODV
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Corson, M.S., Park, V.D.: Temporally Ordered Routing Algorithm (TORA) version 1: Functional specification Internet-Draft, draft-ietf-manet-tora-spec- 00.txt (1997)Google Scholar
- 2.Das, S.R., Perkins, C.E., Royer, E.M.: Performance Comparison of Two On-demand Routing Protocols for Ad Hoc Networks. In: IEEE INFOCOM 2000, pp. 3–12 (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Fall, K., Varadhan, K. (eds.): Ns notes and documentation, The VINT Project, UC Berkeley, LBL, USC/ISI, and Xerox PARC, (November 1999), Available from: http://www.isi.edu/nsnam/ns/
- 4.Johnson, D.B., Maltz, D.A.: Dynamic Source Routing in Ad-Hoc wireless networks. Mobile Computing, 153–181 (1996)Google Scholar
- 5.Johnson, D.B., Maltz, D.A., Hu, Y.C.: The Dynamic Source Routing Protocol for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks (DSR), IETF Internet-Draft, draft-ietf-manet-dsr-10.txt (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Perkins, C.E., Bhagwat, P.: Highly Dynamic Destination Sequenced Distance Vector Routing (DSDV) for Mobile Computers. In: ACM SIGCOMM. Comp. Communication Rev., pp. 234–244 (1994)Google Scholar
- 7.Perkins, C., Royer, E.: Ad-hoc On-Demand Distance Vector Routing. In: Proceeding of IEEE WMCSAGoogle Scholar
- 8.Royer, E.M., Toh, C.K.: A review of current routing protocols for ad hoc mobile wireless networks. IEEE Personal Communications, 46–55 (1999)Google Scholar
- 9.Roy, S., Garcia-Luna-Aceves, J.J.: Using Minimal Source Trees for On-Demand Routing in Ad Hoc Networks. In: IEEE INFOCOM 2001, vol. 2, pp. 1172–1181 (2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Saito, M., Tobe, Y., Tokuda, H.: A Proximity-Based Dynamic Path Shortening Scheme for Ubiquitous Ad Hoc Networks. In: 24th International Conference on Distributed Computing Systems (ICDCS 2004) (2004)Google Scholar