Bandwidth Guaranteed Routing in Wireless Mesh Networks
Interference can make significant impact on the performance of wireless networks. Wireless mesh networks (WMNs) allow multiple orthogonal channels to be used simultaneously in the system and the throughput can be greatly improved because transmissions on different orthogonal channels do not interfere with each other. However, due to the limited number of available orthogonal channels, interference is still a factor in WMNs. In this paper an H-hop interference model in WMNs is proposed, where the transmission is successfully received if no other nodes that are within H hops from the receiver are transmitting on the same channel simultaneously. Based on this model, the interference-free property in the TDMA WMNs is analyzed. A heuristic algorithm with max-min time slots reservation strategy is developed to get the maximum bandwidth of a given path. And it is used in the bandwidth guaranteed routing protocol to find the shortest path for a connection with bandwidth requirement. Extensive simulations show that our routing protocol decreases the blocking ratios significantly compared with the shortest path routing.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Raniwala, A., Gopalan, K., Chruch, T.: Centralized Channel Assignment and Routing Algorithms for Multi-channel Wireless Mesh Networks. In: Proc. ACM Mobile Computing and Communcations Review, vol. 8, pp. 50–65 (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.Alicherry, M., Bhatia, R., Li, L.: Joint Channel Assignment and Routing for Throughput Optimization in Multi-radio Wireless Mesh Networks. In: Proc. ACM MOBICOM, pp. 58–72 (2005)Google Scholar
- 5.Jain, K., Padhye, J., Padmanabhan, V., Qiu, L.: Impact of Interference on Multi-hop Wireless Network Performance. In: Proc. ACM MOBICOM, pp. 66–80 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Zhai, H., Wang, J., Fang, Y.: Distributed Packet Scheduling for Multihop Flows in Ad hoc Networks. In: Proc. Wireless Communications and Networking Conference, pp. 1081–1086 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Tang, J., Xue, G., Zhang, W.: Interference-Aware Topology Control and QoS Routing in Multi-Channel Wireless Mesh Networks. In: Proc. ACM MOBIHOC, pp. 68–77 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Zhu, C.: Medium Access Control and Quality-of-Service Routing for Mobile Ad hoc Net-works. PhD thesis, Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Maryland, College Park, MD 20906 (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Zhu, C., Corson, M.S.: QoS Routing for Mobile Ad hoc Networks. In: Proc. IEEE INFOCOM, pp. 958–967 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Shao, W., Li, V., Chan, K.: A Distributed Bandwidth Reservation Algorithm for QoS Routing in TDMA-based Mobile Ad hoc Networks. In: Proc. Workshop on High Performance Switching and Routing, pp. 317–321 (2005)Google Scholar
- 11.Georgiadis, L., Jacquet, P., Mans, B.: Bandwidth Reservation in Multihop Wireless Networks: Complexity and Mechanisms. In: Proc. Distributed Computing Systems Workshops, pp. 762–767 (2004)Google Scholar
- 12.Perkins, C., Royer, E.M., Das, S.R.: Ad-Hoc On-Demand Distance Vector Routing. Internet-draft, draft-ietf-manet-aodv-06.txt (2000)Google Scholar