A Study on the CI-OFDM Communication System for the High Quality and High Speed Communication System
Orthogonal frequency division multiplexing (OFDM) system has been widely used for the high speed digital communication area and it is very promising for the next generation communication standard because of high data rate capability. However, OFDM system has inherent serious problem of high peak-to-average power ratio (PAPR) that makes the OFDM signal be distorted in the nonlinear HPA (high power amplifier). In this paper, CI (carrier interferometry)-OFDM system is considered to overcome this problem and is newly analyzed in the selective fading and narrow-band interference channel. CI-OFDM system distributes each parallel data to all sub-carriers in differently phase-rotated form. So, PAPR becomes lowered and it shows the frequency diversity effects. BER (bit error rate) performance is analyzed in the selective fading and narrow-band interference environment. From the simulation results, it is confirmed that CI-OFDM system calms down the high PAPR problem and CI-OFDM system is more robust than the ordinary OFDM system in the selective fading and narrow-band interference channel.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wieganndt, D.A., Nassar, C.R., Wu, Z.: Overcoming Peak-to-Average Power Ratio Issues in OFDM via Carrier-Interferometry Codes. In: Vehicular Technology Conference, 2001. VTC 2001 Fall IEEE VTS 54th, October 7-11, vol. 2, pp. 660–663 (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Barbosa, P.R., Wu, Z., Nassar, C.R.: High-Performance MIMO-OFDM via Carrier interfeometry. In: Global Telecommunications Conference, GLOBECOM 2003, December 2003, vol. 2, pp. 853–857. IEEE, Los Alamitos (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Wu, Z., Wu, Z., Wiegandt, D.A., Nassar, C.R.: High-performance 64-QAM OFDM via carrier interferometry spreading codes. In: Vehicular Technology Conference, 2003. VTC 2003-Fall. 2003 IEEE 58th, October 6-9, vol. 1, pp. 557–561 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Wiegandt, D.A., Nassar, C.R., Wu, Z.: The elimination of peak-to-average power ratio concerns in OFDM via carrier Interferometry spreading codes: a multiple constellation analysis. In: System Theory. Proceedings of the Thirty-Sixth Southeastern Symposium on 2004, pp. 323–327 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Krongold, B.S., Jones, D.L.: A new tone reservation method for complex-baseband PAR reduction in OFDM systems. In: Proceedings of IEEE International Conference on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing, May 13-17, vol. 3, pp. III-2321–III-2324 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Li, X., Cimini Jr., L.J.: Effects of clipping and filtering on the performance of OFDM. IEEE Communications Letters, 131–133 (May 1998)Google Scholar