A Pure Localized Algorithm for Finding Connected Dominating Set in MANETs by Classification of Neighbors
- 551 Downloads
An important problem in wireless ad hoc networks is to select a few nodes to form a virtual backbone that supports routing and other tasks such as area monitoring. Connected dominating set (CDS) has been proposed to approximate the virtual backbone. Although computing minimum CDS is known to be NP-hard, many distributed protocols have been presented to construct small CDS. However, these protocols are either too complicated, need non-local information or have slow convergence speed, are not adaptive to topology changes. In this paper, we propose a new pure localized algorithm for computing the approximate solution to the minimum CDS problem. The algorithm starts with a feasible and near-optimal CDS solution via marking process based on classification of neighbors, and removes vertices from this solution by redundancy elimination, until an approximate CDS is found. Both analytical and experimental results demonstrate that our algorithm has better performance than other distributed algorithms.
Keywordsconnected dominating set distributed algorithm pure localized algorithm routing wireless ad hoc networks
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Das, B., Sivakumar, R., Bharghavan, V.: Routing in ad hoc networks using a spine. In: Proc. Int. Conf. Comput. and Commun. Networks, Las Vegas, NV (1997)Google Scholar
- 2.Kozat, U.C., Kondylis, G., Ryu, B., Marina, M.K.: Virtual Dynamic Backbone for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), Helsinki, Finland (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Kranakis, E., Singh, H., Urrutia, J.: Compass routing on geometric networks. In: Proc Of 11th Canadian Conf. on Computational, Geometry, Vancouver (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Sivakumar, R., Das, B., Bharghavan, V.: An improved spine-based infrastructure for routing in ad hoc networks. In: Proc. IEEE Symp. Comput. And Commun., Athens, Greece (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Dai, F., Wu, J.: Distributed dominant pruning in ad hoc wireless networks. In: Proc. Of IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC) (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Alzoubi, K.M., Wan, P.-J., Frieder, O.: Distributed heuristics for connected dominating sets in wireless ad hoc networks. J. Comm. And Networks 4, 22–29 (2002)Google Scholar