A Medium Access Control Scheme for Providing Reliability in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks
- 546 Downloads
We propose a medium access control (MAC) protocol called MMPR that supports reliable medium access control in wireless ad hoc networks. MMPR protocol focuses on interaction between a MAC and upper layers, whereby the MAC layer indirectly influences selection of the most reliable next forwarding node set by considering link channel states. The MMPR protocol reduces the number of contention phases and control frames using transmission power control techniques, considerably reducing the time required for broadcasting. In addition, our protocol increases throughput under channel fading and interference using a modified CSMA/CA scheme. Our simulation shows that MMPR is substantially more reliable and it provides high throughput in ad hoc network models compared to 802.11 broadcast and BMMM*.
KeywordsMedium Access Control Channel State Information Medium Access Control Protocol Packet Delivery Ratio Distribute Coordination Function
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.IEEE. Part 11: Wireless LAN Medium Access Control (MAC) and Physical Layer (PHY) specifications, ANSI/IEEE Standard 802.11, 1999 edition (1999)Google Scholar
- 3.Karn, P.: MACA: A new channel access method for packet radio. In: Proc. ARRL/CRRL Amat. Radio 9th Comput. Network. Conf., Sepember 1990, pp. 134–140 (1990)Google Scholar
- 4.Bharghavan, V., Demers, A., Shenker, S., Zhang, L.: MACAW: A medium access protocol for wireless LANs. In: Proc. ACM SIGCOMM 1994, October 1994, vol. 24, p. 212 (1994)Google Scholar
- 5.Schiller, J.: Mobile Communications, 2nd edn. Addison Wesley, Reading (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Kumar, A., Manjunath, D., Kuri, J.: Communication Networking: An Analytical Apsproach. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Tang, K., Gerla, M.: Random access MAC for efficient broadcast support in ad hoc networks. In: Proc. IEEE WCNC 2000, September 2000, pp. 454–459 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Tang, K., Gerla, M.: MAC reliable broadcast in ad hoc networks. In: Proc. IEEE MILCOM 2001, October 2001, pp. 1008–1013 (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Sun, M.-T., Huang, L., Arora, A., Lai, T.-H.: Reliable MAC layer multicast in IEEE 802.11 wireless Networks. In: Proc. Int. Conf. Parallel Processing, August 2002, pp. 527–536 (2002)Google Scholar