Adaptive Weighted Clustering for Large Scale Mobile Ad Hoc Networking Systems
Constructing stable and reliable weight-based clusters which can provide faster convergence rates and performance results for dynamic routing is a challenging task in mobile ad hoc networks. In this paper, we propose an adaptive framework for weight estimation and dissemination which considers decisive node properties in determining a node’s suitability for becoming clusterheads and employs adaptive cluster radius and dynamic network constraints as a weight dissemination criterion. It is observed that the proposed algorithm is suitable for scalable ad hoc networks and is adaptable for any cluster formation decisions based on weighted or cost metric approaches. We present a cluster formation and maintenance algorithm that forms well distributed clusters and performs adaptive control to increase the cluster life time so as to optimize routing efficiency. The simulation results corroborate that this protocol is the best suited scheme for adaptive stable clustering and control overhead reduction in large scale mobile ad hoc networks.
KeywordsClusters ad hoc networks protocols weight metric and performance analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Nocetti, F.G., Gonzalez, J.S., Stojmenovic, I.: Connectivity Based k-hop Clustering in Wireless Networks. Telecomm. Systems (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Yang, S., Wu, J., Cao, J.: Connected k-hop Clustering in Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proceedings of ICCP, pp. 373–380 (June 2005)Google Scholar
- 5.McDonald, B., Znati, T.: Design and Performance of Distributed Dynamic Clustering Algorithm for Multimode Routing in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks. Sim: Trans. of the Society of CS&MI 78 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Sivavakeesar, S., Pavlou, G.: Scalable Location Services for Hierarchically Organized Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proceedings of ACM Mobihoc, Illinois, USA (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.Chatterjee, M., et al.: WCA: A Weighted Clustering Algorithm for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. Journal of Cluster Computing 5(2) (April 2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Lâtré, B., et al.: A Heterogeneity Based Clustering Heuristic for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proc. ICC, Paris, pp. 3728–3733 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Reynaud, L., Meddour, J.: An Open Architecture that Manages Quality of Service within Ad Hoc Networks. In: Proc. IEEE IWWAN (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Royer, E.M.: Hierarchical Routing in Ad Hoc Mobile Networks. Wireless Communications & Mobile Computing, 515–532 (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Rabiner, W., et al.: Adaptive Protocols for Information Dissemination in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of ACM Mobicom (1999)Google Scholar