Energy-Efficient Multi-query Optimization over Large-Scale Sensor Networks
Currently much research work has been done to attempt to efficiently conserve the energy consumption for sensor networks, recently a database approach to programming sensor networks has gained much attention from the sensor network research area. In this paper we developed an optimized multi-query processing paradigm for aggregate queries, we proposed an equivalence class based merging algorithm for in-network merging of partial aggregate values of multi-queries, and an adaptive fusion degree based routing scheme as a cross-layer designing technique. Our optimized multi-query processing paradigm efficiently takes advantage of the work sharing mechanism by sharing common aggregate values among multiple queries to fully reduce the communication cost for sensor networks, thus extending the life time of sensor networks. The experimental evaluation shows that our optimization paradigm can efficiently result in dramatic energy savings, compared to previous work.
KeywordsSensor Node Query Processing Outgoing Edge Incoming Edge Query Region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Emekci, F., Yu, H., Agrawal, D.: Amr El Abbadi Energy-Conscious Data Aggregation Over Large-Scale Sensor NetworksGoogle Scholar
- 3.Madden, S., Franklin, M.J., Hellerstein, J.M., Hong, W.: TAG: A Tiny AGgregation Service for Ad-Hoc Sensor Networks. In: OSDI (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Intanagonwiwat, C., Govindan, R., Estrin, D.: Directed diffusion: A scalable and robust communication paradigm for sensor networks. In: MobiCOM, Boston, MA (August 2000)Google Scholar
- 5.Madden, S., Franklin, M.J.: Fjording the stream: An architechture for queries over streaming sensor data. In: ICDE (2002)Google Scholar
- 6.Yao, Y., Gehrke, J.: The cougar approach to in-network query processing in sensor networks. In: SIGMOD Record (September 2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Yao, Y., Gehrke, J.: Query processing in sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the First Biennial Conference on Innovative Data Systems Research (CIDR) (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Trigoni, N., Yao, Y., Demers, A.J., Gehrke, J., Rajaraman, R.: Hybrid Push-Pull Query Processing for Sensor Networks. GI Jahrestagung (2), 370–374 (2004)Google Scholar
- 10.Madden, S.: The Design and Evaluation of a Query Processing Architecture for Sensor Networks. Ph. D Thesis, UC Berkeley, Fall (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Krishnamachari, B., Estrin, D., Wicker, S.B.: The Impact of Data Aggregation in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: ICDCS Workshops 2002, pp. 575–578 (2002)Google Scholar
- 13.Gehrke, J., Madden, S.: Query Processing in Sensor Networks Sensor and Actuator NetworksGoogle Scholar