Capturing Abstract Matrices from Paper
Capturing and understanding mathematics from print form is an important task in translating written mathematical knowledge into electronic form. While the problem of syntactically recognising mathematical formulas from scanned images has received attention, very little work has been done on semantic validation and correction of recognised formulas. We present a first step towards such an integrated system by combining the Infty system with a semantic analyser for matrix expressions. We applied the combined system in experiments on the semantic analysis of matrix images scanned from textbooks. While the first results are encouraging, they also demonstrate many ambiguities one has to deal with when analysing matrix expressions in different contexts. We give a detailed overview of the problems we encountered that motivate further research into semantic validation of mathematical formula recognition.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Anderson, R.: Syntax-Directed Recognition of Hand-Printed Two-dimensional Mathematics. PhD thesis, Harvard University, Cambridge (1968)Google Scholar
- 2.Blostein, D., Grbavec, A.: Recognition of mathematical notation. In: Handbook on OCR and Document Analysis, ch. 22, pp. 557–582. World Scientific Publishing, Singapore (1997)Google Scholar
- 4.Ciarlet, P., Miara, B., Thomas, J.: Introduction to numerical linear algebra and optimisation. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge (1989)Google Scholar
- 5.Heck, A.: Maple Manuals, 3rd edn. Springer, Heidelberg (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Kanahori, T., Suzuki, M.: Detection of matrices and segmentation of matrix elements in scanned images of scientific documents. In: ICDAR 2003, pp. 433–437 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Kaye, R., Wilson, R.: Linear Algebra. Oxford Univ. Press, Oxford (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Sexton, A., Sorge, V.: Abstract matrices in symbolic computation. In: The International Symposium on Symbolic and Algebraic Computation (to appear, 2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Sexton, A., Sorge, V.: Semantic analysis of matrix structures. In: ICDAR 2005, pp. 1141–1145. IEEE Computer Society Press, Los Alamitos (2005)Google Scholar
- 14.Twaakyondo, H., Okamoto, M.: Structure analysis and recognition of mathematical expressions. In: ICDAR 1995, pp. 430–437 (1995)Google Scholar